hinahina/ hina.hina /
1. n., The silversword (Argyroxiphium sandwicense 🌐).
- See ʻāhinahina #2.
2. n., Florida moss (Tillandsia usneoides 🌐), an air plant, growing on tree branches and hanging baskets, forming masses of gray, thread-like stems and leaves.
- Neal 169–71.
3. n., Native heliotrope (Heliotropium anomalum 🌐 var. argenteum), a low, spreading beach plant, with narrow, clustered, silvery leaves and small, white, fragrant flowers. As designated by the Territorial legislature in 1923, it represents Kahoʻolawe in the leis of the islands; it is used for tea and medicine.
- Neal 717.
4. n., Native geraniums (Geranium cuneatum var. tridens and other native silvery geraniums), shrubs or small trees of the high mountains, with ovate, toothed leaves and red or white flowers.
- Neal 469.
- Cf. nohoanu.
5. n., Native artemisia (Artemisia australis).
- See ʻāhinahina #3.
6. vs., Gray, grayish.
7. n., A variety of sugar cane, gray-green with a rosy flush, the whole covered with a wax bloom; pith dark brown; looks like lahi 2.
- HP 224, 225.
8. Reduplication of hina #1.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log