1. nvt., Net, snare, stratagem, ruse; to ensnare, entangle, catch in a net; to festoon with leis.
- hoʻohei Caus/sim.; To snare, tangle, rope, lasso; to beset with difficulties; to infatuate, be enraptured.
- Hoʻohei manaʻo, to infatuate, beguile; spellbound.
- Hoʻohei pipi, to rope cattle.
- Ka hoʻohei ʻana i nā pua, catching fish fry.
- E hoʻohei aʻe ʻoe i kānaka (Luka 5.10), you shall catch [by fishing] men.
- Hoʻohei manaʻo, to cast a spell, enchant, beguile.
- See kāhei #1, kāhei #2; Luka. 5.4.
2. nvi., String figure, cat's cradle; to make such.
- Many kinds are listed by Dickey.
3. n., Motion of hands and fingers, especially of the dying. (Some persons did not make string figures, hei, at night because of the association of the figures with the motions of death.)
4. vs., Adept, deft; to absorb, as knowledge or skill.
- Ka ʻike a ka makua, he hei na ke keiki, the knowledge of the parent is absorbed by the child.
5. Variant of hai, to sacrifice.
6. n., Water oozing from a cliff and trickling down.
- Cf. hī #2.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log