1. n., Octopus (Polypus sp.), commonly known as squid.
- Heʻe mahola, octopus given for sickness caused by sorcery, as octopus (heʻe) would cause the sickness to flee (heʻe) or spread out (mahola).
2. vi., To slide, surf, slip, flee (Kin. 14.10).
- ʻO ka mea i hilinaʻi aku iāia, aʻole ia e heʻe (Isa. 28.16), he that believed did not make haste.
- hoʻoheʻe Caus/sim.; To cause to slip, slide, flee; to put to flight, rout.
- Hoʻoheʻe kī, ti leaf sliding.
3. vi., To melt, flow, drip, soften; to skim, as milk.
4. vi., To hang down, as fruit; to sag; to bear breadfruit.
- Laho heʻe, hernia rupture.
5. n., Line that supports the mast, stay.