1. n., Iron, general name for metal tools, a bit; brand, as on a horse.
2. n., All native species of a genus of small trees (Rauvolfia) related to the maile and the hōlei, four or five narrow branches are borne together at joints of branches; many small, yellowish flowers develop, and then small, black, flattened, twinned, inverted, heart-shaped fruits.
- Neal 691.
- PPN fao.
- Perhaps PPN saʻo.
4. vt., To come with force, as wind or rain; to do with force and energy.
- Hao wale, to strike at random; violent.
- Hao mai i ka puʻupuʻu, deliver a blow of the fist.
- Hao maila ka mana (FS 265), power was in full force.
- Hao mai nā koa ʻAmelika! On come the American soldiers!
- Hao mai ka makani, kuakea ka moana; hao mai ke kai, kū ke koʻa i uka, the wind blows, the sea is white with foam; the sea rises and coral is washed ashore [anger].
- See ex., paʻihi.
6. n., Horn, as of a goat.
7. Variant of haohao #2.
Ua hoʻololi ʻia e ko Wehewehe Wikiwiki. / This entry was modified by Wehewehe Wikiwiki.