1. vt., Anointed, smeared; to anoint, stain, rub, as with oil; to besmear, plaster, stroke gently, pet, fondle, caress; to struggle, as a drowning man; to put on, as gloves (Kel. 134); to spread, as butter; to plane smooth.
- Figuratively, to flatter; compassion.
- Nā papa hū ʻole i hamo ʻia i ka ʻaila (Puk. 29.2), unleavened wafers anointed with oil.
- Nā hale lāʻau i hamo ʻia ā hinuhinu (Kel. 135), wooden houses planed beautifully smooth.
2. vt., To thrust through or split asunder, as with a spear.
- E hamo ʻia iho ana ua koa nei (For. 5:703), this fighter was split asunder.
- E hamo iho ana ʻo Kawelo i ka ihe (For. 5:707), Kawelo thrust his spear through.
3. n., A variety of sweet potato.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log