hāpapa/ hā.papa /
1. n., Rock stratum covered with thin earth; shoal; shoal water, coral flat; shallow. Figuratively, superficial.
2. vt., To grope, feel the way, reach for, extend out; to experience, feel.
- Hāpapa hewa ka malihini makamaka ʻole, a stranger without friends gropes vainly.
- ʻO ka makapō wale nō ka mea hāpapa i ka pō uli, only the blind grope in the dark night.
- ʻA ʻole hoʻi i hāpapa ikaika loa mai nā ʻeheu ʻiniʻini a ke kēhau (Kel. 17), did not feel very strongly the pinching wings of dew.
3. n., Stick for catching ʻio hawks; the crosspieces were gummed and a live bird was tied as a decoy.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log