1. nvt., To see, know, feel, greet, recognize, perceive, experience, be aware, understand; to know sexually (For. 4:275); to receive revelations from the gods; knowledge, awareness, understanding, recognition, comprehension and hence learning; sense, as of hearing or sight; sensory, perceptive, vision.
- ʻIke nui ʻia, well known, famous.
- ʻIke ʻē, foresee.
- ʻIke mamao, far-sighted.
- ʻIke pōkole, near-sighted.
- ʻIke wale ʻia, easily seen, conspicuous.
- Aniani hoʻonui ʻike, magnifying glass, telescope, microscope.
- Hāiki ka ʻike, narrow-minded, ʻIke aku, ʻike mai, to recognize one another.
- Ē Leo, e hele mai e ʻike i kō hoahānau, Leo, come and greet your cousin.
- Pau ka ʻike, to lose consciousness.
- ʻIke hoʻomaopopo, conscious, consciousness.
- Ua hele au e ʻike i kuʻu hoaloha; ua pau ka ʻike, pau ka lohe, I went to see my friend, he was in a coma, neither seeing or hearing.
- He ʻike kumu, he ʻike lau, he ʻike lono, he ʻike pū ʻawa hiwa; Ka ʻike ia āu ē ke akua (hula prayer), a knowledge basic, a knowledge flowering, a knowledge heard, a knowledge from kava offerings; this is the knowledge from you, O god.
- hōʻike Caus/sim.
- a. To show, make known, display, tell, exhibit, reveal, indicate, inform, report, notify, explain, testify, cause to know or seen, discover, announce, allege; acquaint; testimony, notice, information; identifying characteristics, as of land claims; proof, token guide, exhibition. Hōʻike maopopo aku, to demonstrate clearly. Hōʻike ʻōlelo, grammar. Haʻawina hōʻike, examination, test. Hōʻike ā maka, hōʻike ākea, to reveal openly and clearly. Hōʻike ʻana, show, exhibition, (cap.) Revelation (Biblical). Hōʻike ʻano, description, example, illustration; to tell the nature of, describe. Hōʻike honua, geography. Hōʻike hoʻopōkole, shortened review, synopsis, sketch, summary, outline, resumé. Hōʻike manawa, chronology. Hōʻike panakō, bank statement or report. Palapala hōʻike, affidavit, report.
- b. Witness, as in court. Hōʻike hoʻopunipuni, hōike wahaheʻe, false witness; to lie, commit perjury. Hōʻike paʻa, witness, one who confirms. Hōʻike pākuʻi, rebuttal.
- c. School commencement; to hold commencement.
- d. Congregational convention of various Sunday Schools with singing and recitation. Nā hōʻike makahiki, the annual conventions. PPN kite.
2. interjection of scorn in the phrase: I ka ʻike! What does [he, she] know!
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log