1. nvi., Stingy, selfish, to withhold, detain, grudge, refuse to part with; stinginess; sparingly.
- Home hoʻopaʻa ʻauʻa ʻia, detention home.
- Mai hoʻi mai māua i nehinehi, ʻo ka ʻauʻa hoʻi o ka makamaka, we would have returned yesterday, but were detained by friends.
- Ua ʻauʻa ke kahuna, the sorcerer refuses to part with his knowledge.
2. n., A kind of ʻōpelu fish said to be larger than others in a school and hence more visible. When net fishermen see an ʻauʻa they know a school is present; the ʻauʻa then can not be caught [he refuses].
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log