ʻalalā/ ʻala.lā /
1. nvi., To bawl, bleat, squeal, cry, caw, yelp, wail, scream; such noises.
- Hele ka makuahine, ʻalalā keiki i kauhale, when the mother goes, children bawl at home [a neglectful mother].
- hōalalā Caus/sim.
- He aha lā kāu i hōʻalalā mai nei i kēlā keiki? Why did you make that child cry
2. n., Hawaiian crow (Corvus tropicus 🌐), named for its caw; endangered.
- He ʻalalā, he manu leo nui, a crow, a bird with much talk [a talkative person]
3. nvt., A style of chanting with open mouth vibration and tremor of the voice, and prolonged vowels; to chant thus
4. vt., To gargle.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log