This position is dedicated to increasing the number of underrepresented students by recruiting and, providing programming and services to meet the specific needs of the target population(s).
Responsibilities include the following:
- Assist in providing an environment, atmosphere and activities that will retain and motivate the target population to excel in academic performance and personal development
- Serve as a peer advisor/mentor
- Assist students in establishing college preparatory goals, developing strategies to achieve those goals, including improvement in academic knowledge and skills
- Encourage students to explore college, internship and community service opportunities
- Assist students in identifying and establishing a network of resources supportive of academic success and personal development
- Assist students in developing problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Must be a college sophomore or higher standing with 3.00 or higher GPA
- Must be able to develop a strong rapport with target high school population
- Plan and implement activities critical to retention and success of the students
- Operate a computer and related software applications
- Collect and enter data into a database
- Complete reports
- Follow written and verbal instructions
- Work collaboratively with advising staff
- Available to work evenings and weekends.
- Prior successful work experience in Upward Bound or another TRiO or other education equity program
- Experience working with high school students
- Personal experience overcoming academic and/or economic barriers similar to those typically encountered by the Upward Bound target population in attaining a postsecondary education.