Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU/RET) Mentoring
How to Request an REU/RET Intern
As a member of the University of Hawaii at Hilo science faculty or a partnering research agency, you are eligible to apply as a REU mentor. To apply, please complete the “REU Mentor Form” below and mail, fax or email it by February 6th:
If you have any questions, please contact us at (808) 933-0705.
Fill out the [PIPES Host Agency Request Form (Online Form)
What are the REU Mentor Requirements?
REU/RET Mentors will be expected to work with the PIPES Office to:
- Identify a project and assist the student intern with the development of a project proposal
- Incorporate the intern into the overall research project and it’s participants
- Assist the intern with preparing their project proposal in regards to content, methodology, and realistic scope of work for the summer
- Mentor and guide the intern’s progress on the project and participation in the PIPES program activities, and provide input and assistance regarding the preparation of the project final report and intern’s oral presentation
- Facilitate the intern’s participation in PIPES meetings
- Provide support necessary for completion of the project, such as travel to and from the field (if necessary), work space, equipment, publications related to research project, etc.
- Monitor and guide the intern’s progress during the project on a day-to-day basis, including providing positive feedback and suggestions for improvement
- Participate in the PIPES Mentor Training (held each spring)
- Attend the PIPES Orientation Week Mentor Luncheon and the end of the program Student Symposium