CAS Reorganization 2017-2018
October 9, 2017
Aloha Members of the Transition Teams and CAS faculty,
I am attaching an updated timeline for the transition from the College of Arts and Sciences to the new College of Humanities and Social Sciences and the College of Natural and Health Sciences. The reorganization follows the plan approved by President Lassner on May 2, 2017 and by UHPA on May 10, 2017, but uses a revised timeline.
The goal is to have planning completed by January 31, 2018 and to implement the new Colleges on July 1, 2018, the start of the 2019 University of Hawaiʻi fiscal year. I realize and acknowledge that with change comes uncertainty, however, it also comes with opportunity. The plan is flexible enough to incorporate change and still meet the deadlines.
Academic Affairs is following these guiding principals for implementation of the policy:
- The strong belief in the discipline-related departmental structure governed by faculty.
- Removal of the unnecessary layer of administration that now exists between the Dean and the Department Chairs within CAS.
- The need for Department Chairs and faculty to be involved directly in budgeting and to develop a systematic approach tying scheduling to the budgeting process.
- Need for an Administrative Officer in each college to provide advice and to oversee budget management, hiring, and financial transactions, allowing colleges a higher degree of autonomy in these processes.
This creation of the new Colleges is designed to be a largely faculty-driven process, which is a unique opportunity to create a college that faculty feels functions best for their students and themselves. While the proposed structure may not be what individuals would have preferred, the new Colleges will have a much greater ability to determine how they operate. Both Colleges contain an imperfect melding of disciplines and department sizes that will require significant accommodations in constructing the governance structure and the advisory relationship with Deans. On the positive side, each College will be composed of the same faculty that we have been working along side for years to decades as colleagues and friends. I encourage each and every one of you to seize this opportunity and use your imagination to create the best College possible.
Interim Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Planning for the Transition from the College of Arts and Sciences to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences and the College of Natural and Health Sciences - October 12, 2017
- UHPA Reorganization No Objections (PDF) - May 10, 2017
- CAS Reorganization President Lassner Approval (PDF) - May 2, 2017