Turnitin - Essay Tests and Papers
Turnitin is a very useful tool for giving essay tests and for research papers. It can check for content “sharing” between students and for material copied from the web and other sources. If you want to give essay take home exams, this is a much better tool than Laulima Tests and Quizzes.
COVID-19 Note: If you plan to require short answer online quizzes and exams you can set up each quiz/exam as an assignment in Turnitin and have students submit their completed quiz/exam to Turnitin before you review student submissions.
UH Hilo has a site license for Turnitin, there is no cost for using this service.
How to Use Turnitin
How to Set Up an Account and Beyond
- Email Karla Hayashi (email@example.com) from your campus email and simply request an account.
- Karla Hayashi will send you an email confirmation you are added. The message will include:
- links to the Instructor self-tutorial page on Turnitin.com
- a reminder that if the faculty member previously set up a Turnitin account (even from a different institution) the faculty member may use that previous account
- Check your campus account (including your Spam box) for an automated reply from Turnitin confirming you were added. This message will contain a link to:
- Get Started (click on)
- Follow prompts as instructed
- Review the self-tutorial topics and select the relevant ones. For first-time use after setting up an account the following tutorials are suggested:
- Creating a Class
- Enrolling Students from a List
- Removing Students (if a student drops the class)
- Emailing Students (individually or all)
- Creating a Paper Assignment
- Advanced Similarity Report Settings (to allow instructor to select appropriate elements to be part of the Turnitin review)
- Creating a Reflection Assignment (if you want to create a low stakes assignment which will not be analyzed by Turnitin for originality)
- Creating a Revision Assignment (if instructor wants students to submit multiple drafts without overwriting earlier drafts)
- File Types Displayed in the Document Viewer (lists the file types Turnitin can accept)
- The Assignment Inbox
- Viewing Papers (online)
- Accessing the Similarity Report (to see what the plagiarism check identified)
- The Similarity Report Explained
- Interpreting the Similarity Report
Additional "Get Started" Instructional Videos
- Enrolling Students
- Setting-up and Submitting Assignments
- Evaluating Originality Reports
- General Comments