Distance Learning Pedagogy and Training
Tips, Tricks, and Training
This section contains DL success tips and tricks, training, and course resources to increase the success of your online course.
Quick Access: Self-Guided Training
Over the Summer of 2020, the Distance Learning Team (formerly the Remote Teaching Team) compiled and assembled a series of online teaching presentations and workshops to assist faculty in transitioning their courses to an online format. These recorded presentations provide pointers on how to improve both the student's and faculty's online experience.
TSU Remote Teaching - Video SeriesPatrick Smith is the Assistant Director of the Office of Extended and Distance Learning at Texas State University (TSU) San Marcos. An Instructional designer, Patrick, has developed a series of workshops especially, for UH Hilo to, enhance distance learning and instructional excellence. From beginning online teaching to using specialized instructional technology tools, these workshops offer an array of ways to build faculty expertise and engage students.
TSU Video Series: Remote Teaching Overview and Strategies for Common Tasks
Distance Learning Pedagogy WorkshopsYouTube Playlist - 2020 Summer Course Development Workshop Videos - Handouts and Sample Docs
Individual Presentations w/ Handouts:
- Creating Engaging Online Discussions Handouts
- Creating Effective Online Learning Handouts
- Jumpstarting Your Online Course Set-up Handouts
- Map Your Way to a Quality Course Handouts
- Working with Content - Accessible Documents Sample Files
- Motivating Students to Learn Handouts
- Strategies for Online Assessments Handouts
- Developing a Hybrid Course: Scenarios, Modalities, and Best Practices Handouts
- The First Week: Setting Your Students Up for Success Handouts
Laulima Pro Tips
Laulima v19 Upgrades
- For an overview of the changes, visit the "Whatʻs New at a Glance" document.
- Additionally, there is the "Laulima v19 Upgrades Features" document that provides detailed screenshots.
- The UH Systemʻs Online Innovation Center hosted a showcase of the updates and the new tools for teaching. You can view the webinarʻs recording, accompanying presentation, and Q&A summary on their website.
Videos and Guides
Online Engagement Software
- VoiceThread Workshops - Video Playlist
Online Assessment Strategies
From our UH Hilo Remote Teaching Overview and Strategies for Common Tasks web page, some ideas are shown under the Tests and Quizzes and Assess Student Learning sections. Here are some highlights:
- Consider non-exam options.
- Look at alternate exam formats.
- Consider focusing on question types like essays or short answers.
- Use the Tests and Quizzes tool to randomize question order and distractor sequence.
- Make the exam available for a shorter window of time.
- Set at time limit on the exam attempt.
Possible Redesigning of Your Exam (Alternatives)
- Cumulative written paper.
- Reflection paper.
- Recorded student presentation (keep FERPA requirements in mind).
This additional resource, "Fourteen Simple Strategies to Reduce Cheating on Online Examinations," provides more thought-provoking ideas.
The UH Systemʻs Online Assessment Strategies and Tips document can also help with some ideas for alternatives. It also includes a section entitled, "How do I deter students from cheating." (note: at present, neither UH Hilo nor the UH System has a system-wide online proctoring product available).
Additional Articles and Resources
Though these articles were not written or produced by the University of Hawaiʻi, they provide helpful insight and guidance to address common online teaching course concerns.
Helpful DL Tips and Tricks
DL Pedagogy Resources
- UH Innovation Center - Virtual Labs
- Designing A Hyflex Class In Response To COVID-19
- Building a HyFlex Course to Support Student Success
- Reduce Cheating In The Online Classroom: Shifting From Punishment To Prevention
- Articles and Resources for Teaching Courses and Labs Online
Padlet (Online Application)
Utilize the Padlet online application to increase student engagement. (UH Innovation Center)