Eligibility For Graduation
Academic Policy 1-2005
Effective: September 13, 2005
Eligibility for Graduation
In order to participate in the graduation ceremony, student must:
- Have completed or have in progress course work satisfying all requirements for the desired degree during the semester immediately preceding the graduation ceremony. There are two exceptions to this requirement.
- A student who will complete all remaining requirements during the summer session may participate in the spring ceremony.
- A student who will complete degree requirements in absentia and not return for further course work at UH-Hilo before completing the degree may participate in the graduation ceremony at the end of their last semester at UH-Hilo
- Exceptions to the above policy can only be granted by the Dean of the College from which the student will graduate. Exceptions for inter-college, inter- disciplinary students can be granted only the vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
Students who desire to participate in a graduation ceremony must apply for graduation by the deadline for the semester of graduation. This will ensure inclusion of the students name in the program and the availability of admission tickets to the ceremony. Students who fail to apply for graduation, but are otherwise qualified according the above policy may seek permission to attend from their dean.
Application for Graduation
In order to graduate, a student must apply for graduation. This initiates a process known as graduation evaluation. The following dates apply to the graduation evaluation process:
- In order to receive a graduation evaluation prior to the completion of the semester prior to the planned semester of graduation, the application for evaluation must be filed by the end of the third week of the semester preceding the student’s final semester.
- In order to receive a graduation evaluation prior to the completion of the graduating semester, the student must apply by the end of the third week of the semester of planned graduation.
- In order to graduate, a student must apply for graduation no later than the end of the tenth week of the semester.
- Graduation evaluation, graduation requirements, graduation eligibility, graduation ceremony, commencement, absentia