Hawaiʻi CC Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts and UH Hilo's Bachelor of Business Administration
Memorandum of Understanding For Cooperation Between The University of Hawai‘i at Hilo and University of Hawai‘i - Hawai‘i Community College (December 2019)
The University of Hawai‘i at Hilo (UH Hilo), and University of Hawai‘i Hawai‘i Community College (Hawai‘i CC) (collectively, the “Parties”) agree to cooperate on General Business and Accounting Bachelor of Business Administration and Associate in Arts in Liberal Arts, Exploratory Business based on the principle of reciprocity.
This Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) serves to clarify expectations of each campus to facilitate the successful transfer of students in the Associate in Arts (AA) in Liberal Arts, Exploratory Business Concentration at Hawai‘i CC to the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in General Business and Accounting at UH Hilo. The goals of this partnership are to: (1) use resources at both institutions more efficiently and effectively to focus on transfer issues; (2) establish shared program responsibilities for student recruitment, academic advising and support to make the process of moving from one campus to the next as seamless as possible; and (3) expand student options for college success and curriculum by expanding on-campus services from Hawai‘i CC and UH Hilo.
- Students who graduate from Hawai‘i CC with the articulated AA degree in Liberal Arts, Exploratory Business will be covered under the terms of this agreement. Hawai‘i CC students transferring to UH Hilo without graduating with the articulated AA degree in Liberal Arts, Exploratory Business may be required to complete additional coursework for the BBA degree at UH Hilo.
- Requirements for both the AA degree and BBA degrees are provided below (appendices I-III). These documents form the basis of this agreement; subsequent changes to the curricular requirements of either program may require revisions to this agreement.
- Under the terms of this MOU, UH Hilo will do the following:
- Identify a UH Hilo faculty member(s) who will serve as the faculty advisor to students in the General Business and Accounting Programs.
- Meet with Hawai‘i CC faculty and/or administration at least every two years, or on an as needed basis to discuss potential and planned curricular changes.
- Under the terms of this MOU, Hawai‘i CC will do the following:
- Identify a student services advisor at Hawai‘i CC who will partner with a UH Hilo advisor to ensure timely and accurate advising information on pre-admission, admission, degree requirements, and related matters.
- Identify a Hawai‘i CC faculty member(s) who will serve as the faculty advisor to students in the Liberal Arts, Exploratory Business program and consult with UH Hilo admissions and advising personnel when necessary.
- Meet with UH Hilo faculty and/or administration at least every two years, or on an as needed basis to discuss potential and planned curricular changes.
- Under the terms of this MOU, both Parties will do the following:
- Make efforts to find financial sources for carrying out the agreed to activities on each campus.
- Inform the other Party in a timely manner of identified advisors at the beginning of each Academic Year, and communicate any changes to advisors during the course of the Academic Year.
- Inform the other Party in a timely manner of changes in campus, Department, or Program leadership and point of contact.
- Nothing shall diminish the full autonomy of either institution, nor will any constraints or financial obligations be imposed by either upon the other in carrying out the MOU.
- This MOU is in effect for five years and is subject to revision or modification by mutual written agreement. It is also understood that either institution may terminate the MOU at any time by giving written notice at least 6 (six) months in advance to the other Party to minimize impact on students completing their degrees. This MOU shall take effect from the date of the latest signature below.
- Any notice or request given or made by one Party to the other under this MOU shall be in writing and shall be addressed to the appropriate office as is designated in writing hereinafter:
University of Hawai‘i at Hilo
Contact: Ken Hon, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Division of Academic Affairs
Address: 200 W. Kawili Street Hilo, HI 96720
University of Hawai‘i, Hawai‘i Community College
Contact: Joni Onishi, Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs, Division of Academic Affairs
Address: 200 W. Kawili Street Building 346-122 Hilo, HI 96720
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Parties hereto have caused this MOU to be executed by their duly authorized representatives. Each Party shall hold one original signed MOU, with both documents being equally authentic.
For: University of Hawai‘i: Hawai‘i Community College
Rachel Solemsaas, Chancellor, 11-19-19
Joni Onishi, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, 11-26-19
Melanie Wilson, Dean of Liberal Arts and Public Services, 12-03-19
For: University of Hawai‘i at Hilo
Bonnie Irwin, Chancellor, 12-10-19
Ken Hon, Interim Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, 12-06-19
Emmeline de Pillis Interim Dean, College of Business & Economics, 12-06-19