Parking, Purchases, Student Employees


Parking permits or day passes are required during the fall and spring semesters from 6:00 am through 4:00 pm on all class days. Parking permits are available on a first-come, first-served basis at the Parking Office in the Auxiliary Services Building. Permits are sold by the semester and/or academic year. The University's permit adheres to the inside of your windshield by static. If you drive different vehicles, the permit can be transferred. Campus parking is closed from 12:00 midnight until 6:00 am, except Housing lots. Employees needing after-hours parking should contact the Parking Office or Security Office for a free overnight pass.

For persons demonstrating a need to park in various lots on campus (such as those with physical disabilities) a special use "S" permit is available.

Daily parking is $3. Visitors must buy a daily parking pass, good in all lots, from the Parking Office, the Main Entrance kiosk off Kāwili Street, the Zone 6 guard house off the Lanikaula Street entrance, or the Zone 6 guard house on Nowelo Street. Invited campus guests should see sponsoring University programs for validation stickers. Refunds are available for short term visits, if the pass is returned within 1/2 hour from the time of purchase.

Disability Parking
To park in an ADA stall on campus, a State of Hawaiʻi Disabled Parking Placard and personal ID card is required 24 hours/7 days a week. A University parking permit or day pass is also required during hours of enforcement. More information about parking is available online at Campus Parking.
Carpool Parking
A carpool pass (available at the guard kiosk/houses) is required to park in a designated carpool stall, in addition to a parking permit or daily pass. The vehicle requires two or more people upon entering the campus.  There is no charge for a carpool pass.

An EV (electric vehicle) charging station is available at Life Sciences.  AFV (alternative fuel vehicle) stalls are located at the College of Hawaiian Language and the Student Affairs Building.

Updated May 2013 by NA.


Goods and services purchased to support instructional programs require authorization from the dean (CAFNRM, CoBE, CoP, CCECS), college director (CHL), or department/division chair (CAS). Upon receiving approval, faculty should seek the assistance of their division or college administrative support staff to initiate the procurement process. Orders for goods or services should not be placed until the requester receives a purchase order or is authorized to use a P-card. Faculty members should not expend personal funds with the assumption they will be reimbursed.

Faculty whose duties require them to purchase goods or services on behalf of the University should be aware of the University’s procurement policies and procedures, which can be found on the web at Administrative Procedures A8.200; see Business and Finance section. The UH Hilo Business Office website has an Easy Reference Guide for processing information on frequently used transactions.

In brief, faculty should know that most purchase transactions are initiated with a requisition form, which can be created on-line by their college/division/department administrative support staff.

For purchase of less than $2,500, faculty members should be identifying the best value for their purchase. The Use of SuperQuote for expenditures between $2,500 and $100,000 are required. SuperQuote is the University’s electronic quotation system. For instructions on preparing a request for quotations on SuperQuote, refer to the training clip which can be found on the UH System Financial Management Office website . For purchase greater than $100,000 please contact the Business Office.

Updated May 2013 by LF.

Student Employees

The University has funds available each year to hire students for on-campus positions.  Funds are “B-Budget” funds (state general and TFSF funds) and Work-Study funds (primarily from the federal government, awarded to a student based on financial need).  Funds are allocated each year to the colleges.  In addition, some research grants include funds to hire students as research assistants.  If a faculty member is interested in employing a student to assist him/her, he/she should contact the college dean.  

For training or assistance with technical issues related to the online student employment & cooperative education (SECE) system, please contact Mr. Randal Usui, Coordinator of Student Employment and Job Development 932-7355 or ( .  

Updated May 2013 by NSS.