Disability Accommodation

As required by law, the University complies with the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and its Amendments (2008) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, by providing accommodations to students, staff, and faculty with documented disabilities. General questions regarding ADA compliance of campus facilities, or access, should be directed to the Director, Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) at 932-7641 or email eeoaa@hawaii.edu or Disability Services Director Susan Shirachi , 932-7623 (V), 932-7002 (TTY) or email uds@hawaii.edu.

Reasonable Accommodation for Students

UH Hilo’s Disability Services Office collaborates with¬† faculty and administrators to determine and arrange for appropriate academic accommodations for students.

Every UH Hilo course syllabus should include the following statement of accommodation:

Students   may request accommodations for a documented disability by contacting Disability Services Office at 932-7623 (V), 932-7002 (TTY), or uds@hawaii.edu as early in the semester as possible.  A faculty member who is approached by a student with a request for disability accommodation should treat the request in a respectful manner and immediately contact the Disability Services Office for assistance and resolution.    Faculty may be asked by the DS office to make appropriate accommodations for a student after the office staff consults with the student and other relevant persons to assist in the eligibility determination process.

Accommodations frequently involve academic adjustments or providing auxiliary aids.  Examples of such accommodations include, but are not limited to permitting students with various learning disabilities, for example, to take time-and-a-half to write exams, excusing such students from producing accurate spelling for in-class exams in courses that are not English core courses, or to use a computer to facilitate their essay responses. In both cases, the standard of performance required of faculty and students is maintained. Accommodations are unique to each person, his or her needs, and employment or academic situation.

Reasonable Accommodation for Faculty and Staff

Employment accommodations for faculty may be requested by contacting the department or division chair, or the Director, EEO/AA.   Here at UH Hilo, job accommodations are available to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities to the extent that the accommodation is not an undue hardship to the University.  In general, an accommodation is any change in the work environment that enables an individual with a disability to perform the essential functions of her or his position and have the benefits and privileges of employment that are enjoyed by employees without disabilities.  Any faculty or staff member interested in learning more about requesting a job accommodation for a disability may contact the UH Hilo EEO/AA office at 932-7641 or eeoaa@hawaii.edu.

Here are examples of possible accommodations where modifications are made to the work environment or on how and when a job is performed:

  • making existing facilities accessible;
  • job restructuring;
  • modifying work schedules;
  • acquiring or modifying equipment;
  • modifying access to tests, training materials, or policies; and
  • providing qualified readers or interpreters.

‚ÄĒUpdated June 2013--JK