Conditions of Employment

Faculty Union Contract

A comprehensive statement of conditions of employment for faculty is provided by the contract between the University of Hawai╩╗i Professional Assembly (UHPA) and the Board of Regents of the University of Hawai╩╗i , posted at the UHPA website

Faculty Recruiting and Hiring

Allocation of faculty positions is determined during collaborative discussions of chairs of departments and divisions and by the deans and directors of colleges with the vice chancellor for academic affairs and other administrators.

Administrative Procedure A9.540, Recruitment and Selection of Faculty and Administrative, Professional and Technical (APT) Personnel, prescribes the procedures to be used in the recruitment and selection of faculty.

Hiring procedures and guidelines are given in the faculty hiring handbook, available in draft form.

Hiring procedures are monitored by the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action., which provides training, guidance, and resources for participants in the entire process of recruitment, search, and hiring. It is the policy of UH Hilo to provide equal opportunity and affirmative action in employment for all qualified individuals. The University rejects all forms of discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability status, marital status, arrest and court record, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and status as a covered veteran. Anyone having questions regarding equal opportunity or affirmative action should contact the EEO/AA Office at 932-7641 or email

UH Hilo is also committed to ensuring that recruitment and selection practices comply with the University of Hawai╩╗i Professional Association (UHPA) collective bargaining agreement. Anyone with questions or concerns regarding collective bargaining should contact their unit representative to UHPA; these are listed in “Faculty Rights and Responsibilities: UHPA” in this handbook.


Faculty members on both academic year (nine month) contracts and calendar year (11 month) contracts are paid twice each month over the full 12-month period. Although every effort is made to assure prompt processing of information, new members of the faculty would be wise to anticipate a wait of approximately six weeks before receiving their first check. In an effort to decrease the delay, wherever possible the Human Resources (Personnel) Office sends the necessary employment forms to new faculty members before they arrive. These should be completed and returned to Human Resources promptly.

A variety of mandatory or optional deductions can be made from the paycheck. Mandatory deductions include state and federal taxes, FICA, Medicare taxes, and statutory union dues. Optional deductions include a variety of approved tax-sheltered annuities, periodic savings deposits, automobile insurance, medical insurance, employee organizations, United Way contributions, and so forth.

Direct deposit of paychecks can be arranged through the Human Resources office.

Employee Benefits

The university system’s Office of Human Resources maintains a webpage with comprehensive information on benefits available to university employees

Faculty are entitled to participate in the university system's tax-deferred annuity program

Other useful links are provided at the university system’s faculty and staff resource page.

UH Hilo’s Human Resources office has personnel information and forms available..

Consulting or Other Private Employment

Faculty who engage in paid consulting or other outside activity during the duty period must inform the University in advance through the submission of UH Form 50 (Record of Outside Employment) through the division or college office. Faculty must limit consulting or other private employment to no more than one day, or an accumulation of eight hours, per calendar week.

The UH system policy on consulting and other private employment is stated in Board of Regents policy section 9-7, Outside Employment. Use UH Form 50 to report on outside employment; the form is available at division and college offices. The form is available online at

Reviewed June 2013--AKS