Advising Policies and Forms

Academic regulations are listed in detail in the university catalog.

After students acquire all necessary signatures, most forms are to be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for processing and can be found online at the Registrar's Office Forms page.

Modification Requests

A creative advisor can help students to identify transfer courses and substitute courses that might count towards GE, graduation, or the major and/or that might enable the student to graduate somewhat earlier than planned. For CAS, CNHS, CHL, an CoBE, the student and advisor should complete a Request for Modification of Academic Requirements Form, available from college or division offices or online.

For modification of a major, minor, or certificate requirement, the signature of the department or program chair is required; for a GE or graduation requirement, the signature of the dean or college director is required.

Queries about discrepancies or missing coursework on transfer credit evaluations should be directed to the Admissions Office.

Declaring or Changing a Major

Students are encouraged to declare a major upon earning 55 credits. The Change of Major form is available at division or college offices and online.

Declaring a Catalog Year

Effective Fall 2011, students transferring in to UH Hilo from another UH System Campus, are eligible to continue their educational career under the catalog year in which they entered the UH System, provided there has not been a break in enrollment (more than 1 semester, excluding summer). Students my choose to use one catalog for the major requirements and a different catalog for the General Education and Integrative requirements. Eligibility for selected catalog(s) must be verified by the Office of the Registrar. The Catalog Declaration form is available at the Office of the Registrar.

Graduation Application

While it is the student’s responsibility to submit the application for graduation in a timely manner, early in the semester preceding the semester of graduation, the advisor can encourage her to do so. The graduation application form is available at the Office of the Registrar or in college and division offices, and online.

The form is submitted to the Business Office with payment for processing.

Graduation in Absentia

Students sometimes have occasion to go to another institution during their last semester or last year of college and complete their degree requirements there. They can apply to graduate in absentia from UH Hilo. The graduation in absentia form is available at the Office of the Registrar, the offices of deans, directors, and divisions and online.

If graduation in absentia involves the National Student Exchange, students must also work with UH Hilo’s NSE Coordinator (x7389 or

Course Overload Request

Students can take up to 18 semester hours per semester, however students wishing to take more than 18 semester hours must request permission. The Student Overload Approval form is available at division or college offices and online.

Prior Transfer Authorization Forms

Students are able to receive prior authorization for credits to be earned at other institutions. This arrangement may involve the National Student Exchange or Education Abroad Programs. The Transfer Credit Authorization form is available from the Financial Aid Office.

Academic Bankruptcy

Students may declare academic bankruptcy for one semester at UH Hilo. The student’s cumulative GPA will be recalculated to exclude all grades from the bankrupt semester, however the grades from that semester will remain on the transcript. Copies of the Academic Bankruptcy Declaration form are available at the division or college offices or online.


Students wishing to partially withdraw from courses can use MyUH Services to do so, however they should be made aware of the withdrawal deadlines of the semester. These are stated in the Academic Calendar and in the current university catalog.

Complete Withdrawals

Complete withdrawals (from all courses) can be processed until the last day of instruction of the semester. The Complete Withdrawal form is available at the Office of the Registrar.