Information Sheet "Non-Civil Service Appointments"
Welcome to the University of Hawaiʻi. The type of appointment which you have accepted is a "non-civil service appointment." The duration of your appointment is limited to a maximum of 89 calendar days. However, in order to meet operational needs, you may receive a second appointment not-to-exceed 89 calendar days. Your employment may be terminated at any time during the appointment period. As a courtesy, the University will attempt to give you at least two (2) week prior notice of your termination. However, in some instances, advanced notification of termination is not assured.
Paydays shall be on the 5th and the 20th of the month. However, if such days fall on a weekend or on a holiday, you will be paid on the first workday preceding the 5th or the 20th day of the month. Your supervisor or your personnel officer will inform you of your hourly rate of pay, timesheet and payroll procedures of your agency. Your supervisor should also inform you of the policies and procedures of your workplace.
Although you are excluded from collective bargaining (union membership), you are eligible for certain benefits for non-civil service employees during their employment period. You are eligible for:
- Overtime - Overtime is paid for more than 8 hours of work per day or more than 40 hours per week.
- Standby Pay - Standby duty means an assignment by a competent authority to remain at home or at any other designated place for a specific period for the purpose of responding to calls for immediate service after the employee's normal work hours or on the employee's scheduled day off. The employee is entitled to additional compensation when placed on standby duty.
- Split Shift Pay - A split shift exists when an employee's scheduled workday is divided into two or more portions by off duty periods other then mealtime. The employee is entitled to additional compensation when placed on a split shift.
- Night Shift Differential - Additional compensation for work performed between 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
- Working Condition Differential - Additional compensation for work performed in a specified location or while performing specified functions.
- Temporary Hazard Pay - Additional compensation for periods when the employee is temporarily exposed to unusually hazardous working conditions.
- Medical and Prescription Drug Plans - All part-time and temporary employees who are not eligible to enroll in the State of Hawaiʻi Employer-Union Health Benefit Trust Fund (EUTF) medical and prescription drug plans are able to enroll directly with HMSA or Kaiser. Participation is voluntary and the employee is responsible for the cost of the coverage which is paid directly to the carrier. For more information: Part-time and Temporary Medical and Prescription Drug Plans.