About the Hanakahi Council
The Hanakahi Council is a campus-based caucus group of faculty and staff who are Native Hawaiian or associated with campus programs, colleges, or departments in Hawaiian Studies, Hawaiian language, or Hawaiian education or targeted to serve Native Hawaiian students.
The general membership meets monthly and the executive representatives meet monthly with the UH Hilo Chancellor to discuss issues and/or topics that may impact access or success Native Hawaiians at UH Hilo. The Hanakahi Council also represents UH Hilo at the system-wide level as an active member of the Pūkoʻa Council .
Hōʻoia ʻĀina (Land Acknowledgement Statement)
He kalahea kēia a ke Kulanui o Hawaiʻi ma Hilo, mai ke Keʻena o ke Poʻo Kulanui:
He honua ʻōiwi ʻo Hawaiʻi nona ka poʻe ʻōiwi o ka ʻāina, ʻo ia nā kānaka Hawaiʻi. Aia kēia kulanui ma kēia ahupuaʻa ʻo Waiākea, ma ka moku ʻo Hilo. Kū nō ke Kulanui o Hawaiʻi ma Hilo i ka hoʻohiki a Ke Kulanui o Hawaiʻi e hoʻoulu i ke ola o ke kaiāulu ʻōiwi ma o ka hana kālai 'ike ma nā kahua kula he ʻumi o ka ʻōnaehana papahana hoʻōiwi kulanui i kapa ʻia ʻo Hawaiʻi Papa O Ke Ao. He leo aloha kēia i ka poʻe a pau e ʻākoakoa ana i ʻaneʻi.
Aloha mai kākou.
On behalf of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, the Office of the Chancellor acknowledges the following:
Hawaiʻi is an indigenous space whose original people are today identified as Native Hawaiians. The university is in the land division called Waiākea, in the district of Hilo. The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo aligns with the University of Hawaiʻi System’s commitment to fostering the wellbeing of indigenous communities through academic processes put into effect with the ten-campus, system-wide transformation called Hawaiʻi Papa O Ke Ao. This land acknowledgement welcomes everyone who gathers here.
Greetings to all.
Current UH System and UH Hilo Initiatives
- Hanakahi Council Strategic Plan 2021-2023
- Hawaiʻi Papa o Ke Ao
- Hawaiʻi Graduation Initiative
- UH Strategic Plan 2023-2029
- UH Hilo Strategic Plan 2011-2015
UH Hilo Native Hawaiian Student Data Sets
Native Hawaiian Student Services
Hanakahi Recommendations and Position Statements
- Recommendation for UH Hilo's CARES III Funding (2020)
- Position Statement- E Naʻauao Pū, E Noiʻi Pū, E Noelo Pū: Research Support for Hawaiian Studies (2020)
- Naming Recommendation for UH Hilo's University Village (2013)
- Position Statement - UH System's Proposed 2012-13 to 2016-17 Tuition Schedule (2011)
- Position Statement - UH System's Non-Resident Cap (2009, 2010)