For the Creation of a Campus-wide Task Force to Study the Reorganization of Academic Units at UH Hilo
Whereas, historically, faculty members in Natural Sciences have made several unsuccessful attempts to reorganize the College of Arts and Sciences due to its inequitable size when compared to other UH Hilo colleges.
Whereas, an opportunity has arisen to reorganize the College of Arts and Sciences, since the Dean will be stepping down soon, and the VCAA has agreed to appoint an interim Dean who may serve for an extended period of time to allow for a possible reorganization.
Whereas, the UH Hilo College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Senate recently conducted a survey to determine faculty interest in creating a campus-wide task force to study the reorganization of academic units at UH Hilo, and the results of that survey (attached) revealed that 72.97 percent of faculty respondents are in favor of creating a campus-wide task force to study the reorganization of academic units at UH Hilo.
Whereas, the reorganization of the College of Arts and Sciences has the potential to impact other academic units at UH Hilo, such as the College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management and the College of Business and Economics, so a campus-wide task force is necessary.
Therefore, be it resolved that Faculty Congress create a campus-wide task force to study the reorganization of academic units at UH Hilo.
- Request brought to Faculty Congress Executive Committee to vet the list of potential members for the task force.
- Task force members approved unanimously by Faculty Congress on January 15, 2016:
- CAS – NS – Jene Michaud
- CAS – SS – Chris Frueh (Chair)
- CAS – Hum – Kirsten Mollegaard
- CAS – Nursing – Jeanie Flood
- CAFNRM – Mike Shintaku
- COBE – Kim Furumo
- Pharmacy – Karen Pellegrin
- Ka Haka Ula – Pila Wilson
- Student Affairs Advising – Kainoa Ariola
- UHHSA student representative – Lazareth Sye
- CAS – NS – Tracy Wiegner
- CAS – SS – Thom Curtis
- CAS – Humanities – Michael Marshall
- CAS – Nursing – Alice Davis
- CAFNRM – Kevin Hopkins
- COBE – Kasuke Nakao
- Pharmacy – Forrest Batz
- Ka Haka Ula – Kalena Silva
- Student Affairs Advising – no alternate named
- UHHSA – no alternate named