UH President's Award for Excellence in Building and Grounds Maintenance Award Criteria
This annual system-wide award was established in 1986 to recognize a University of Hawaiʻi employee who has demonstrated a sustained superior work ethic in a UH System campus facilities position.
The University of Hawaiʻi is fortunate to have University employees who demonstrate both service and commitment to their positions. The President’s Award for Excellence in Building and Grounds Maintenance serves to recognize, honor and express appreciation for these dedicated employees who support, preserve and improve the various UH campus facilities. For more information regarding previous winners, please see https://www.hawaii.edu/about/awards/bng.php.
- Award certificate.
- Monetary award of $1,000.00.
- Recognition at a University of Hawai‘i Board of Regents meeting.
- Nominee must be a current full-time employee with a minimum of twelve (12) consecutive months of service for the University.
- Nominee must be employed in a maintenance, landscaping, custodial, shop, or trucking position for a UH Campus.
- Past recipients of the UH President’s Award for Excellence in Building and Grounds Maintenance are not eligible; however, previously nominated individuals who did not win are eligible with a new submission.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Nominations for a group or a team are not accepted.
Criteria for Selection
The successful nominee must satisfy some or all of the following criteria:
- Possess a positive attitude and good work ethic.
- Has demonstrated a sustained superior performance above and beyond the call of the individual’s duties.
- Made improvements to the physical appearance of any of the campus buildings or grounds.
- Developed and/or implemented procedures which saved the University money.
- Any University community member (co-worker, supervisor, faculty, staff, or student) can nominate an individual.
- Complete the nomination form and a letter of nomination not to exceed one (1) typewritten page double spaced.
- The nomination letter should contain examples of significant accomplishments, notable success, or recognition received in achieving job-related goals.
- Nominations may also include no more than three (3) endorsements or letters of recommendation from other individuals who are able to assess the nominee’s performance.
- Nomination information will be reviewed for eligibility and content.
- Nomination forms and supporting material will not be returned.
- All nominations are kept strictly confidential.
- A review committee composed of a cross-section of representatives from campuses, HGEA and UHPA will review all nominations.
- The nominees will be evaluated based on the nomination form and the supporting documentation submitted.
- The review committee will recommend a nominee to the President who will decide whether to accept or decline the committee’s recommendation.
- Nominees will be notified of their nomination and the identity of the nominator(s) after the committee reviews all nominations, unless otherwise specified.
Tips for Submitting a Nomination
When nominating someone, please be specific and include as much detail as possible. The review committee members base their recommendations on the content of the nomination form. Therefore, the more information you include in your nomination, the better the committee will be able to judge your nomination.
Please contact Courtney Domingo at the Office of the President (808) 956-8207 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.