Excellence In Service Award Criteria
Award Criteria and Nomination Process
Presented to a faculty or professional staff member who provides service related professional skills to the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo and their community.
Eligibility and Nomination
- All UH Hilo tenure-track faculty and full-time Board of Regent-classified professional staff (including APTs and executives) are eligible for this award, except for prior recipients of the award.
- Nomination form and deadline information can be found online at Faculty and Staff Awards.
Guidelines for Evaluation
- Quality of performance: active participation and attendance on committees, satisfactory presentation and/or completion of service activities (15 points).
- Impact of service: improvement or enhancement to group arising as a result of service activity (10 points).
- Quantity of service contributions: number of service contributions and hours consumed in service activities (10 points).
Guidelines for Selection Committee
- Members of the selection committee will be appointed by the chancellor.
- Members of the selection committee may not nominate or actively support a nominee.
- If a member of the selection committee is a nominee, s/he will be replaced with another member appointed by the chancellor.
- All nominees will be requested to provide 1) a categorized list of service contributions for only the past five years for each of the following categories: a) service to the college/unit, b) service to the university, and c) service to the community, listing dates of service, committee and office/role held, nature of service, and number of hours consumed, and 2) a current curriculum vitae.
- Committee members should rate the professional performance and contributions of each nominee independently, using the guidelines for evaluation, then the committee will collectively determine the finalists.
- The recipient of the award will be selected from among the finalists after the committee reviews documentation and information on job performance/teaching competency and scholarly/creative contributions.
- The selection committee will forward its recommendation for the UH Hilo Excellence in Service Award to the chancellor.