UH Board of Regents Willard Wilson Distinguished Service Award Criteria
The University of Hawaiʻi Board of Regents Office established the Willard Wilson Distinguished Service Award in 1969 in honor of retiring Board Secretary Willard Wilson. Mr. Wilson set a standard for exemplary service to the University during his long-time employment as a University of Hawaiʻi employee and secretary to the Board of Regents.
The University of Hawaiʻi System is fortunate to have University employees who demonstrate continuous meritorious performance. However, there are also those employees whose performance consistently exceeds the standards and expectations of their position. This annual system-wide award is intended to recognize an employee whose commitment and performance has made a significant impact on the University of Hawaiʻi System. View more information about previous winners.
- Nominee must be a current full time employee with a minimum of twenty (20) years of service.
- Nominee can be from any UH campus and any occupational classification.
- Past recipients of the Willard Wilson Distinguished Service Award are not eligible; however, previously nominated individuals who did not win are eligible with a new submission.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
Criteria for Selection
The successful candidate must satisfy some or all of the following criteria:
- Has knowledge and understanding of the University and itsfunctions
- Demonstrates a consistent pattern of extraordinary dedication to theUniversity, which is consistently above and beyond the responsibilities of the nominee’s position.
- Be widely recognized as having served a diverse range of units of the University and not just the candidate’s department.
- Be widely recognized throughout his/her career as someone who willingly went beyond the call of duty without expectation or personal gain.
- A wide internal constituency through service.
- Benefited a segment of the public as well as an externalconstituency.
- Have a long and distinguished record of quality service and stands out among peers in like positions.
- Be widely recognized as a team player and one who has enriched his/herwork environment.
- Complete the nomination form and a recommendation letter not to exceed one typewritten page double-spaced.
- Submit a copy of the nominee’s current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendation (from any combination of faculty, staff, or students), not to exceed one typewritten page which addresses the award criteria.
- Nominations should contain examples of significant accomplishments, notable success, or recognition received in achieving job-related goals.
- The nominee’s information will be reviewed for eligibility and content. Nomination forms and supporting material will not be returned.
- All nominations are kept strictly confidential.
Applications are due no later than 4:30 pm on Monday, October 22, 2018. Completed nomination packets must be submitted via email to Courtney Domingo at email@example.com.
- A review committee composed of a cross-section of University of Hawaiʻi employees will review all nominations.
- The nominees will be evaluated based on the nomination form and the supporting documentation submitted.
- The review committee will recommend a nominee to the Office of the Board of Regents which will decide whether to accept or decline the committee’s recommendation.
- Nominees will be notified of their nomination and the identity of the nominator(s) after the committee reviews all nominations, unless otherwise specified.
- Board of Regents Medal
- Monetary award of $1,000.00.
- Recognition at a University of Hawaiʻi Board of Regents meeting.
Tips for Submitting a Nomination
When nominating someone, please be specific and include as much detail as possible. The review committee members base their recommendations on the content of the nomination form. Therefore, the more information you include in your nomination, the better the committee will be able to judge your nomination.
Please contact Courtney Domingo at the Office of the President (808) 956-8207 or firstname.lastname@example.org.