Disability Services Mission and Goals
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo (UH Hilo) is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in the education of students with disabilities as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and its 2009 amendments, and Section 504 regulations at 34 CFR Part 104, and all other federal/state laws and regulations as well as University policies and procedures related to non-discrimination. UH Hilo promotes a learning environment free of illegal discrimination.
No qualified student, on the basis of a disability, shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program or activity. The Disability Services office provided leadership and support towards achieving a comprehensive and institution wide program as it guides, directs, assists and monitors the administration, faculty, and staff to ensure fair and equal treatment of all students with disabilities. Any qualified student with disability may request accommodations by contacting the Disability Services office. For information regarding the policies, procedures and guidelines concerning students with disabilities, visit the Disability Resources page.
The mission of the University Disability Services Office is to provide services and supports to disabled students, faculty and staff at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. These services include review of assessments, and providing reasonable accommodations designed to assure that students with disabilities may succeed in the least restrictive environment as possible. In addition to serving as an advocate for disabled members of the campus community, the office also provides consulting on facilities development, educational and awareness programs, and general support for diversity activities at UH Hilo.
- Assist UH Hilo to meet ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act [including 2009 amendments]) compliance standards for physical, program, services and activities access.
- Educate UH Hilo faculty, staff, students and the general public of topics relating to disabilities and/or ADA.
- Provide consistent, responsive, and excellent quality of service to students and faculty with disabilities participating in UH Hilo programs, services or activities, as well as to the general public.
- Disability Services Home
- On-Campus Resources
- Disability Resources
- Policies and Procedures
- Mythology of Disability [video]
- Universal Design
- Helpful Links
- Request a Sign Interpreter
- We Connect Now [blog]
- Want good (dis)ability videos?
- What can you do?