How to Apply for Services with Disability Services
Students with disabilities are responsible for identifying themselves as needing an academic accommodation, providing appropriate documentation and requesting the appropriate reasonable accommodation(s). UH Hilo does not provide diagnostic services. It is strongly recommended that high school students with disabilities obtain current testing and clinical documentation prior to exiting their high school or educational setting.
- Be officially accepted as a student at University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo.
- Complete the form-fillable PDFs in the links provided by the indicated forms. These forms should be submitted with appropriate documentation or a Medical Provider-Recommended Educational Accommodations (PDF) to the Disability Services Office either prior to, or as soon as possible after enrolling. You may also request for the paper version of the Application for Services and Accommodations (PDF) by contacting the Disability Services (DS) office. Important Note: All forms must be turned in together.
- Disability documentation requirements include:
- A diagnostic statement identifying the disability, date of the current diagnostic evaluation, and the date of the original diagnosis.
- A description of the diagnostic criteria and/or diagnostic test used.
- A description of the current functional impact of the disability as it relates to the accommodation requested.
- Treatments, medications, assistive devices/services currently prescribed or in use.
- A description of the expected progression or stability of the impact of the disability over time.
- The credentials of the diagnosing professional(s).
- Once all documentation is received by the UDS office, a determination will be made. The student will be contacted with the results and a subsequent appointment will be made to further discuss the student academic accommodation needs, or discuss denial of services based on ineligibility. Appeal process information will be provided if a denial is made.
- For more detailed information about the process, please read the eligibility requirements.
- Disability Services Home
- On-Campus Resources
- Disability Resources
- Policies and Procedures
- Mythology of Disability [video]
- Universal Design
- Helpful Links
- Request a Sign Interpreter
- We Connect Now [blog]
- Want good (dis)ability videos?
- What can you do?