How to Apply for Services with Disability Services
Students with disabilities are responsible for identifying themselves as needing an academic accommodation, providing appropriate documentation and requesting the appropriate reasonable accommodation(s). UH Hilo does not provide diagnostic services. It is strongly recommended that high school students with disabilities obtain current testing and clinical documentation prior to exiting their high school or educational setting.
Be officially accepted as a student at University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo.
Complete the form-fillable PDFs in the links provided by the indicated forms. These forms should be submitted with appropriate documentation or a Medical Provider-Recommended Educational Accommodations (PDF) to the Disability Services Office either prior to, or as soon as possible after enrolling. You may also request for the paper version of the Application for Services and Accommodations (PDF) by contacting the Disability Services (DS) office.
Disability documentation requirements include:
- A diagnostic statement identifying the disability, date of the current diagnostic evaluation, and the date of the original diagnosis.
- A description of the diagnostic criteria and/or diagnostic test used.
- A description of the current functional impact of the disability as it relates to the accommodation requested.
- Treatments, medications, assistive devices/services currently prescribed or in use.
- A description of the expected progression or stability of the impact of the disability over time.
- The credentials of the diagnosing professional(s).
To send in necessary documentation, please follow the steps below to ensure confidentiality:
- Go to UH FileDrop
- Sign in using your UH username and password
- The page that will show will be the "Upload Details" page. For recipient, please type in email@example.com
- Under "Require Authentication," please mark "Yes, require recipient to log in using the UH Login (recommended).
- Under "Expiration Time", please select 14 days
- Under "Optional Message," please type what document you will be sending us in the space provided.
- Click 'Proceed"
- To upload the document, click "Choose File"
- Once you have selected the document, click "Open"
- In "Description" please type the name of the document
- Click "Start Upload' and the confidential document will be sent to the University Disability Services
Once all documentation is received by the DS office, a determination will be made. The student will be contacted with the results and a subsequent appointment will be made to further discuss the student academic accommodation needs, or discuss denial of services based on ineligibility. Appeal process information will be provided if a denial is made.