Disability Services

Emotional Support Animals

Emotional Support Animal - Housing Accommodation Request

  1. Be an accepted student in the Disability Services program.
  2. Indicate your request for an ESA on your on-campus housing application. Housing will provide a provisional accommodation until formal notice is received from Disability Services (DS). Formal notification of accommodation from DS must be received by Housing no later than July 15th for the Fall semester and November 7th for the Spring Semester. If notification is not received by this date, your provisional accommodation will be rescinded.
  3. Contact DS office to request an ESA housing accommodation. Submit appropriate disability documentation or a Medical Provider-Recommended Educational Accommodations (PDF) form indicating a need for an ESA to DS. Form-fillable PDF available on DS website or paper copies available upon request.

Disability documentation requirements include:

  • A diagnostic statement identifying the disability, date of the current diagnostic evaluation, and the date of the original diagnosis.
  • A description of the diagnostic criteria and/or diagnostic test used.
  • A description of the current functional impact of the disability as it relates to the accommodation requested.
  • Treatments, medications, assistive devices/services currently prescribed or in use.
  • A description of the expected progression or stability of the impact of the disability over time.
  • The credentials of the diagnosing professional(s).
  1. Once documentation is received by the DS office, a determination will be made. You will be contacted and a subsequent appointment will be made to further discuss student accommodation needs, or discuss denial of services based on ineligibility. Appeal process information will be provided if a denial is made. DS will contact Housing Staff and provide a formal accommodation notice for your service animal.
  2. Contact Housing Staff to register your ESA with University Housing by completing and reviewing the terms and conditions of residing on-campus with an assistance animal with the Associate Director of Residence Life.

Residents will be required to renew their request for housing accommodations with DS each academic year or for each needed term (if not the full academic year) if accommodation is not granted for your university tenure.

Please visit: UH Hilo On Campus Policy to learn more about UH Hilo's Policy Statement Emotional Support Animal criteria on campus grounds, and the responsibilities of student residents with an ESA.