Tutoring & Academic Support
SSSP participants can take advantage our tutoring. SSSP tutors are highly regarded for their ability and knowledge in their subject areas. Our tutors have been recommended by their instructors and are very good at keeping students on track, especially when students feel stuck or overwhelmed by a subject or assignment. Their assistance has proven to make a difference for students. SSSP participants can schedule appointments by contacting the SSSP staff.
Fall 2017 SSSP Tutoring Schedule
Tutoring is not available during final exams week, Winter & Spring Breaks and Summer.
SSSP Tutoring is available only to SSSP participants. Tutoring appointments are required, standby appointments are welcomed. There is tutoring for many of the general education, lower division classes, check with the SSSP staff. Stop by the SSSP office, SSC E-213, email us at email@example.com or call (808) 932-7475 for a tutoring appointment.
If SSSP's tutoring schedule and subjects do not fit your needs check Kilohana for Course Specific Tutoring (UH Hilo's Academic Success Center located in the lower level of the library and coordinates tutoring at various locations on campus).
Study Guides and Strategies Web Site
Need some studying and test- taking hints? For effective and practical tips on a wide range of topics from Managing Time, Taking Notes in Lectures, Memorizing, Active Listening, Taking notes from a Text Book, Organizing for test taking, Emergency Test Preparation, Writing Basics, to Math Tests and More... visit this excellent Study Guides and Strategies website.
APA / MLA Writing Formats
Writing a research paper or an essay for class? Different areas of study use different formats; always ask your professors/instructors what format to use for your assignment. For common writing style tips and answers to specific questions view these resource links:
Who Is My Advisor? How do I contact a faculty?
Other Learning Resources On Campus
- Kilohana Academic Success Center
- Kilohana has course-specific tutoring available: Looking for help and support in historically challenging classes (those “killer” classes that many students find especially challenging) OR gateway courses (those that are essential for certain majors)? Visit their website for tutoring subjects & hours.
- The Math Center - Tutoring
- The Math Center is in CH-5 and offers free, walk-in tutoring for all math courses (as well as tutoring math concepts in other courses) and features several computers with MathCad, Minitab and Pearson’s MyMathLab. Math tutors are UH Hilo students selected for their excellence in math and trained to facilitate mastery of math concepts and skills. Call 932-7531 for info.
The Math tutors are qualified students majoring in Mathematics or one of the other natural sciences who have demonstrated a keen interest in math and more importantly a desire to share what they have learned with others. Our tutors are proficient in a wide range of math topics from Math 100, College Algebra, pre-Calculus, Calculus, and Statistics; some are able to tutor math from other natural science courses or upper division math courses as well.
At the Math Center we maintain a professional yet casual atmosphere - aimed at lowering "math anxiety" and providing an excellent place to meet with fellow students to discuss homework.
Find out about the Math Placement Exam.
- The Learning Center (TLC)
- Hours: Monday thru Friday, 8am - 4:30pm. TLC provides numerous services to UH Hilo, HAWCC and ESL students that include free tutoring, make-up testing, computer access and classroom support. Visit The Learning Center.
- The Science Center - Tutoring
- The Science Center is in the Science & Tech Building - Room 117 and offers free, walk-in tutoring for lower division (100- and 200-level) biology, chemistry, marine science, and physics courses. There are eight computers available for students to work on their course-related programs with tutors. Science tutors are UH Hilo students selected for their excellence in science and trained to facilitate mastery of science concepts and skills. Call 932-7184 for info.
- UCB 101 Open Student Computer Lab
- Need access to a computer and printer? Visit the computer lab in the University Classroom Building 101. Hours are posted on the door.
- UH Hilo Writing Center
- Free writing assignment help provided by student tutors. The Writing Center is once again located in Kilohana - the lower level of the library . Visit the Writing Center's Website for tutoring hours and more information.
Online Writing Resources
There are other excellent online writing resources with guides on starting a writing assignment through the final editing. These resources also have other resourceful links including ESL, Grammar and Mechanics.
UH Hilo Mookini Library : Online research and writing resources such as Research Guides; Online Book Collections; Finding Articles and Journals; Government Documents; Citing Sources; Ask-a-Librarian and MORE....
- The Owl at Purdue : How To Avoid Plagiarism advise /tips from Purdue University's OWL at Purdue and Writing Center resources. Plagiarism can be regarded as academic dishonesty and a serious academic offense. (Refer to the UH Hilo Catalog)
- Marshallese - English Online Dictionary : The Marshallese-English Online Dictionary (MOD) is a revised and expanded electronic edition of the Marshallese-English Dictionary, developed in 2009.
- ULUKAU - The Hawaiian Electronic Library