Skip to content

NSE Admissions and Registration Information

On this page:

Admission Process

You are guaranteed admission by virtue of your NSE acceptance. However, you must still go through the admissions process detailed below. You must already be admitted to UH Hilo before you can get on-campus housing, setup MyUH Services, or register for classes.

  • Submit your online admissions application.(Select the "transfer/returning" option.) Enter "NSE" in the section that asks if you "have applied to this campus before."
  • Send your transcript (official preferred, unofficial accepted) and $50 non-refundable application fee to Admissions. Fee can be paid by online via credit card or fax downloaded credit card form to (808) 932-7459. If you choose the paper application process, you can mail your check to UH Hilo, Admissions Office, 200 W. K─üwili St., Hilo, HI 96720.
  • You will receive an acceptance letter from the Admissions Office with a request for a $60 tuition deposit. NSE'ers do "not" need to pay the $60 admissions deposit nor do they need to return the intent to enroll card. High School transcripts are also not needed!

    The Fall 2018 priority deadline for NSE students is TBA, application will open in November 2017.

    • Final Deadline for general students: February 14th.
    • Final Deadline for F-1 students: February 14th.

Students wishing to apply for on-campus housing for Spring 2017 should apply for admission ASAP.

Return to top

Registration Process (Also read Pre-Registration process below)

  • The Fall 2017 registration date for new, incoming NSE'ers is TBA.
  • The Spring 2018 registration date for new, incoming NSE'ers is TBA.
  • Please read the "pre-registration, pre-requisite approval" process info below. **The list of Fall 2017 "currently available classes" will be available via the "Registrar" link on the UH Hilo homepage or via MyUH Services.

Registering for classes is done through MyUH Services -- with the exception of "directed/independent study" classes (199-, 299-, 399-, and 499-series) which you must enroll in "after" your arrival on campus. A form must be obtained from the Records Office and completed by the student and faculty member overseeing the directed study.

It is an NSE program requirement that you be a full-time student registered for 12 or more credits. You may register for up to 18 credits online. Written permission must be obtained from the Dean's Office ("Overload" Form) and approved by the UH Hilo NSE Coordinator after you arrive on campus in order to register for additional credits, up to a maximum of 21.

Return to top

Setting up a "MyUH Services" Account

  1. Visit MyUH Services and choose the "* Get a UH username" link under the login button. Enter the requested information exactly as it appeared on the admissions application. You must be admitted by UH Hilo before you can complete this step. By the way, setting up your MyUH account automatically sets up your UH Hilo email account, as well.
  2. Select a password and record it in a safe place. Keep your password private to ensure confidentiality.
  3. If you experience any problems with setting up your account, you may contact the UH Hilo Computing Center at (808) 932-7561. When you're attempting to set up your MyUH Account and you receive an error message stating that you are "not in the database"--it may be because your name, birthdate, or SSN was entered incorrectly when you were admitted.

Return to top

The Fall 2017 "available course" schedule of classes will be available on-line. You may view it via the MyUH Portal or via theUH Hilo Homepage under the "Academics" tab.

You may also visit the online 2016-2017 catalog via the "Catalog" link in the "Academics" tab on the UH Hilo Homepage. It provides course descriptions, prerequisites and course offering frequency. [S = every semester; Y = yearly; AY = alternating years; IO = infrequently offered.]

Classes recommended by former NSE'ers

  • HAW┬á100A Hawaiian Language in Action
  • MARE┬á140 Intro to Hawaiian Coral Reefs
  • GEOG┬á107 Hawai╩╗i in the Pacific
  • HWST┬á111 Hawaiian Ohana
  • HWST┬á211 Hawaiian Ethnobotany
  • HWST┬á213 Hawaiian Ethnozoology

Note: Most other Hawaiian language courses are taught in Hawaiian!

Art classes and Administration of Justice classes are usually taught at the Manono Campus of the Hawai╩╗i Community College , a few blocks from the UH Hilo Main Campus. This is about a 10-15 minute walk.

Return to top

Pre-Registration, Prerequisite Approval Process

You will receive a series of emails from our office walking you through this process and the most updated deadlines.

Download the UH Hilo NSE Pre-Requisite Block Release Form. Complete and attach the form, ] to an email and return to

If you wish to register for any UH Hilo classes that have prerequisites, you must complete the following steps. Failure to do so could greatly limit your ability to obtain classes. You must meet UH Hilo's prerequisites, which may be different from your home school. Be sure to discuss course selection with your home campus academic advisor.

For some disciplines, such as psychology and business administration, as well as most upper division classes, you will be blocked from registering if there are prerequisite course(s) needed because the courses you've previously taken are not recorded in our school's information system database.

In order to confirm they are equivalent to UH Hilo's courses, the UH Hilo NSE Coordinator must evaluate the classes you've taken at your home school which you want to use as prerequisites in order to make sure they are equivalent to UH Hilo courses, then manually release the blocks for each UH Hilo class that has a prerequisite(s).

This can be a time-consuming process. Therefore, as much lead-time as possible is needed. Please do not wait until the last minute to provide the requested information. Please complete the prerequisite steps by March 26 for the Fall semester.

If you are exchanging for a second term, you must also complete the "Pre-Registration, Prerequisite Process" again for the second term.

  1. Determine if prerequisites are required for the UH Hilo class(es) you want by checking in the UH Hilo General Catalog. Prerequisite info in the catalog is listed after the course description.
  2. Complete and Submit the Prerequisite Block Form, which will ask for with the following information:
    • The course name and number of the class you have already taken that you want to use as the prerequisite for the UH Hilo class you wish to register for. If the name of the course you have already taken does not closely match the UH Hilo prerequisite course, also include the course description from your home campus's catalog.
    • The course name and number of the UH Hilo class(es) listed as prerequisite(s) for the class you wish to take.
    • The course name, number, title, and 5-digit CRN of the UH Hilo course you want to register for, exactly as it appears in the Class Schedules (not the general catalog).
  3. If you are currently enrolled in a pre-requisite course and will not have a grade by UH Hilo's registration date, have your professor email stating that you are expected to receive a passing grade.

Return to top

Signing Up For Classes

  1. Login to MyUH Services.
  2. In the left column, click on the "Registration" link.
  3. Click on "Yes - Begin Quick Registration".
  4. Select the appropriate term and submit.
  5. If you already know the CRN's of the courses you want, scroll to the bottom and fill in the blanks.
    1. If you need to find classes, click the "Search for Classes" link at the top of the page.
    2. Select the appropriate term again.
    3. Select "University of Hawaii at Hilo" in the "by Institution" list.
    4. Select the Subject you wish to search and click "Class Search". (Note: you can hold down the Ctrl key to select multiple subjects to show together)
  6. Select "add" from the drop-down list next to any classes you wish to register for that still have seats available, then Submit.

Return to top

Class Enrollment Limitations

Enrollment in certain business courses requires permission from business faculty. Competition for kinesiology, exercise science, communication, and psychology courses is keen. Closed classes: Education, nursing and MBRS. You can find this information on our NSE page .

Return to top

Math and Science Placement Testing

You may be required to take placement testing for science and math classes. Discuss with your instructors upon arrival on campus.

Return to top

How Closed Classes are Handled

Work closely with your home school academic advisor to develop alternative class choices in case your preferred selections are not available. After "early registration" begins for current UH Hilo students, you should frequently monitor class seat availability--particularly, since students are continually adding/dropping classes until their schedules are finalized.

If a class you want is closed when you go to register and you have no alternative choice, please contact the instructor to ask that you be put on the wait list. A given instructor may or may not keep a wait list, but it doesn't hurt to let them know you are seeking enrollment in their class. Instructor names are listed in the Currently Available Classes list. (If "staff" is indicated, an instructor has not yet been assigned by the department.) You can obtain instructor contact info via the online UH Hilo Directory link on the top of the UH Hilo home page.

The formal process for adding a course requires that students obtain a "Registration Permit" form from me or the Record's Office after you arrive and have it signed by the instructor. The good news is that this puts all students on an equal footing to add closed classes only once they have actually arrived on campus.

Keep in mind that some classes have necessary physical limitations (for example, labs and dance classes) that may make them harder to get into. If you have extenuating circumstances regarding your need for getting into a closed class, (such as being a graduating senior, for example) please notify me right away.

Return to top

Tuition/Fees Payment Info

UH Hilo Resident Tuition for Fall 2016 - Spring 2017: $7,200 + $450 fees per semester.

Return to top

Installment Payment Plan

Students with a minimum unpaid balance of $300.00 can enroll in the new payment plan for a $30 non-refundable fee per semester. For details visit Contact the UH Hilo Business Office for further info at (808) 932-7025.

Plan B students pay tuition to their home institution! Please read the UH Hilo Campus Detail information available on the National Student Exchange web site for details on any additional UH Hilo fees that must be paid. Also please refer to the UH Hilo Online Budget available on the Financial Aid website.

Plan A students pay resident tuition/fees to UH Hilo totaling $7,650 (2016-17 information).

Payments may be made online via [ MyUH Services] by credit card or by mailing a check/money order made out to "University of Hawai╩╗i at Hilo" directly to

UH Hilo Cashier's Office,
200 W. K─üwili St.,
Hilo, HI 96720.

Please Note: No bill will be sent! Payment can be made via the " MyUH Services" (or by mailing a check or money order to the UH Hilo Cashier's Office)—after registering for at least 12 credits.

Important Note: If you initially register for less than 12 credits, then later add additional credits to become full-time, be sure to click the "Complete This Registration Session" link to recalculate your tuition charges (students are charged per-credit for less than 12 credits and a flat rate for 12 credits and up).

NSE Program Fee (mandatory): $65

A mandatory UH Hilo $65 NSE program fee will be listed in your MyUH Services account. Both Plan B AND Plan A students must pay****this fee. This fee is separate and not to be confused with the UH Hilo admissions fee or any fees you pay to your "home" campus.

The $65 NSE fee cannot be deducted from Financial Aid. It must be paid separately via MyUH Services (credit card) or by check to the UH Hilo Business Office.

The NSE activity fee is a "one-time" charge collected to help cover the costs of the yearly activities and events sponsored by the UH Hilo NSE office, which include orientation sessions and social/recreational and educational activities.

Return to top

Financial Aid

Award Letter: You must be admitted to receive your financial aid award from UH Hilo. If you are not admitted when the Financial Aid Office receives your FAFSA information, you will automatically receive a generic letter saying you are not "Admitted to a Degree Program" at UH Hilo. This just means you need to complete your application for admission then follow up with the UH Hilo Financial Aid Office to ensure that your request for aid is processed.

Class Standing: Check your " MyUH Services" account to confirm that the correct "class standing level" (i.e. Sophomore, Junior, Senior) has been entered. Some types of financial aid are tied to your class standing, as well as "early registration", if your exchange is for two terms. If you find a discrepancy, contact both the UH Hilo Admissions and Financial Aid Offices.

UH Hilo tuition, housing, and meal plan charges will be automatically deducted from your UH Hilo financial aid award and the balance will be disbursed by check and mailed to the "mailing address" you enter in your MyUH Services internet account.

Plan A "Outgoing Student" Financial Aid Exceptions: Some campuses fund their own outgoing, Plan A students. If you are coming from one of the campuses listed below, contact your home coordinator for more information.

  • Colorado State University - Pueblo
  • Central Washington University
  • Eastern Oregon University
  • Iowa State University
  • North Carolina A&T University
  • North Carolina Central Univ.
  • Stony Brook University
  • SUNY College at Buffalo
  • The College of New Jersey
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • University of Idaho
  • University of Memphis
  • University of North Texas
  • University of Maine, Presque Isle
  • University of Tennessee Chattanooga
  • University of Wyoming
  • West Chester University of Pennsylvania

Deferments (Payment Delays):

Plan A:

If you are on Plan A and receiving financial aid from your home campus for your exchange term, please email/mail me a copy of your financial award or scholarship letter by July 15 for Fall term exchange and November 15 for Spring term exchange.

If you have been notified by the UH Hilo Financial Aid Office that you are receiving financial aid, your tuition payment can be deferred. You should receive an award letter from them which lists the award categories that you must accept and return. If you applied for financial aid but haven't received your award letter, please contact the UH Hilo Financial Aid Office to find out your status.

(Note: If you received a letter from the UH Hilo Financial Aid Office stating that you "were not admitted to a degree program," that means you have NOT been admitted to UH Hilo yet! Contact the Admissions Office; then follow up with Financial Aid.)

Plan B:

If your financial aid is coming from your Home Campus, we can still defer your on-campus housing and Sodexo meal plan payments. Contact those offices directly to make arrangements. Sodexo: (808) 932-7352. Housing: (808) 932-7403.

Return to top


NSE Welcome Reception

NSE will host a mandatory orientation welcome reception. Additional information about this event will be posted under Important Dates. Be sure to check back periodically for updates.

Campus-wide Orientation

Visit the UH Hilo Orientation website for a list of "campus-wide" orientation activities such as welcome events and excursions. We strongly encourage you to sign up for the campus orientation (registration fee required). Important information will be covered, which will not be discussed during the NSE orientation welcome reception.

You are not required to participate in non-NSE, general advising or registration referred to in any "UH Hilo orientation materials." Some math and/or science classes may require testing to enroll.

For the purposes of UH Hilo advising matters, the UH Hilo NSE Coordinator is your UH Hilo Advisor -- not the UH Hilo General Advising Center.

Return to top