Incoming Students Exchange Process
The deadline to apply for the Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 semester has passed.
In preparation for your exchange, we strongly recommend you not only read this website, but also independently research Hawaiian history and culture. Each of us come to new places with our own past experiences and set of expectations. The more informed we are about the new place we are going to, the easier our transition will be!
Prior to your arrival in Hawaii, you will be receiving a series of emails with documents, forms and other important information. Please read them carefully as this will ensure a smoother transition into the university.
Step by Step
Step 1: Congrats on Placement!
Congratulations on your placement to University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo!
With your home campus:
- Fill out your PAF
- Attend preparatory meetings
- Work with your home and host coordinator
Step 2: Apply for UH Hilo!
- Pay registration fee
- Submit copy of transcript to NSE office
Step 3: Health Forms
To prevent holds on your account fill out:
Step 4: Setting-up MyUH
Set up MyUH Services account! (Make sure Steps 1-3 are complete!)
Step 5: Pre-requisite Transfer
All accepted students attend:
Step 6: Class/Course Research
Step 7: Housing for UH Hilo
- Housing Application -- Be aware of housing deadlines!
Step 8: Financial Aid
Remember which plan you're on:
- Plan A: UH Financial Aid & FAFSA (UH Hilo School Code: 001611)
- Plan B: Host campus financial aid & FAFSA
Step 9: Arrival Information
Instruction from your Coordinators on:
- Airport Code: ITO (Kona is 2hrs away!)
- Airport Shuttle to campus
- Shopping at Prince Kuhio Plaza (dorm may provide shuttles)
- Hele-on Bus System
Step 10: Orientation
Welcome to UH Hilo! Let's get you settled:
- Mandatory NSE Orientation
- Recommended Campus Orientation
Step 11: Keep in Touch
Tell your campus what’s happening via:
Step 12: Mid-Semester Check-in
Both University Coordinators will email and check in with you on your exchange:
- Verify transcripts for return
- Prepare you for the realities of returning home
Step 13: Return home!
A hui hou! Prep for departure! Celebrate your exchange experience with your host campus and share your journey!