LGBTQ+ and Community Resources
On this page:
- Campus Resources
- Community Resources
- Bisexual Resources
- General Resources
- Human Rights Resources
- Intersectional Feminism Resources
- Intersex Resources
- Lesbian Resources
- Mahu / Gender Fluid Resources
- National Organizations
- National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Resources
- Native American Heritage Resources
- Transgender Resources
- Straight Ally Resources
- Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Office: (808) 932-7641, firstname.lastname@example.org, Trailer E behind the Business Office.
- UH Commission on the Status of LGBTI Equality : (email@example.com)
- Counseling Services: (808) 932-7465, Student Services Center E-203.
- Women’s Center: firstname.lastname@example.org, Student Services Center E-213.
- University Housing: (808) 932-7406, email@example.com, PB 11.
- Preferred Name Policy
- View a map of gender neutral restrooms on campus (PDF).
- Free HIV testing, information & referral, support, education/prevention, food pantry, housing, free condoms, youth programs, emergency financial support. Two offices plus community outreach workers to help support you.
- Check out Big Island's pride organization! Hawaii Island Pride coordinate LGBTQ accepting events around Hilo. Find events or inquire about volunteering today!
- Create your own Interactive Gender Unicorn and post it on your socials!
- ACLU LGBT Project : The LGBT Project fights discrimination and moves public opinion on LGBT rights through the courts, legislatures and public education.
- ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives : World's largest research library on GLBT heritage and concerns
- National Center for Transgender Equality : Social justice organization dedicated to advancing the equality of transgender people through advocacy, collaboration and empowerment
- Intersex Society of North America : support for those who may identify as intersex
- ASexuality.org : Largest online community for those who identify as asexual
- Affordable Colleges
- Scholarships for LGBTQ+ Students
- ACLU LGBT Project
- Queer Resources Directory
- The Trevor Project
- A leading national organization focused on crisis and suicide prevention efforts among LGBTQ youth. The Trevor Lifeline phone number is 866-4-U-TREVOR.
Human Rights Resources
Intersectional Feminism Resources
- Intersex Society of North America
- Devoted to systemic change to end shame, secrecy, and unwanted genital surgeries for people born with an anatomy that someone decided is not standard for male or female
- Intersex Initiative
- National activist and advocacy organization for people born with intersex conditions
- Information and resources for intersex and transgender people, those considering gender transition, family, friends, partners, and those building relationships
- AIS and DSD Support Group
- Promoting support, education, and outreach to foster healthy outcomes for adults, youth, children, and families affected by Intersex/ Differences of Sex Development (DSD)
- Works for social, racial, and economic justice in the U.S. and internationally
- A one-stop cyber-resource center of information and entertainment
- An international resource by, for, and about lesbians
- Collection of historical archives by and about lesbians and their communities
- Resources for lesbian and bisexual women
- Zuna Institute is a National Advocacy Organization for Black Lesbians, created to address the needs of black lesbians in the areas of Health, Public Policy, Economic Development, and Education
- Organization dedicated to strengthening the voices of lesbian/bisexual/queer women and transgender/gender variant people of Asian descent
Mahu / Gender Fluid Resources
- A timeline of the third gender identity and its presence throughout history and literature
- a video describing diverse gender identities in different cultures and the effect of colonialism.
- Kumu Hina Project's youtube page
- A short film about Kapaemahu, who came to Hawaii with three others, and the significance of the four great stones in Waikiki with their mana.
- A website featuring stories of those from the mahu commmunity and resources on allyship for those who are of gender fluid identities within their own culture
- “People tend to focus on the physical aspect. They focus on a man sleeping with a man, or a woman sleeping with a woman...but that is rather shallow in terms of how we acknowledge the person. Their mindset, their heart set, their emotions, their spirit, and who they are. And so as kanaka, we are clear about these things. We know that there’s a wonderful space, an in-between, to exist in.”
- Scholarships for LGBTQ Students
- National organization that works to end discrimination in U.S. immigration law and to reduce the negative impact of that law on the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-positive people
- Committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of LGBT people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work
- Forum for LGBT humanists to exchange ideas on local organizing, find support in coming out as LGBT (and a humanist), and to speak out with once voice on issues of concern to the LGBT-humanist community
- LGBT political group
- Aims to achieve higher education environments in which LGBT students, faculty, staff, administrators, and alumni have equity in every respect
- Promotes civil rights for LGBT people
- (GLAAD): Promotes fair and accurate representation of LGBT people in the media
- (GLSEN): works with educators, policy makers, community leaders and students on the urgent need to address anti-LGBT behavior and bias in schools
- (HRC): The nation's largest LGBT political organization working for LGBT equal rights
- (PFLAG): Promotes the health and well-being of LGBT persons, their families and friends through support, education, and advocacy.
National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Resources
Native American Heritage Resources
- Social justice organization dedicated to advancing the equality of transgender people through advocacy, collaboration and empowerment
- Advocates for freedom of gender expression and promotes the understanding and acceptance of all people
- Online community and resources for transsexuals, cross-dressers, intersexed, and transgendered folks
- The largest national trans-led organization advocating self-determination for all people. Grounded in legal expertise and committed to racial justice, Transgender Law Center employs a variety of community-driven strategies to keep transgender and gender nonconforming people alive, thriving, and fighting for liberation.
- A youth-led program for trans and gender nonconforming young people to build public understanding, empathy, and a movement for liberation through storytelling and media organizing.
- Portal with educational information updated daily and dedicated to each person who strives for human rights