Health Clearance Welcome Letter
Aloha to our New Students!
We welcome you to UH Hilo and our Student Medical Services (SMS) where you can come for your health needs. Located in the Campus Center, room 212, we have professional healthcare providers who offer immunizations, medical, and family planning care. Visit our forms page to download necessary forms.
Health Clearance Requirements
Important notice to Post-Secondary School Students, the State of Hawaiʻi has updated health requirements for post-secondary educational institutions. Please read and follow these directions carefully. You may not attend classes until you have fulfilled the requirements. Mail or fax the Health Requirements Form before your registration date. View a List of High Risk Countries for TB, as per the State of Hawaiʻi List Department of Health, Tuberculosis Control Program .
I. Tuberculosis Clearance: TB requirement must be met before attending classes.
- U.S. Students: A TB Risk Assessment and or a tuberculin test (PPD/Mantoux) is required for clearance. If positive, a chest x-ray done in the United States or by a U.S. licensed healthcare provider (M.D., D.O., A.P.R.N., or P.A.) within one year prior to enrollment is required.
- International Students including students from the Republic of Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau: All students must have a tuberculin skin test (PPD/Mantoux) performed in the U.S. or its Territories by a U.S. licensed healthcare provider (M.D., D.O., A.P.R.N., or P.A.) within one year prior to enrollment. If the TB test is given in a foreign country, the healthcare provider must document their license number and U.S. State from which it is issued. Upon arrival on campus, TB tests may be taken at Student Medical Services . A follow-up chest x-ray may be required if the TB skin test is positive.
- IGRAs (Interferon-Gamma Release Assays) Blood test, QFT-GIT (QuantiFeron-TB Gold-in-Tube test), and T-Spot TB test done in the United States are accepted for TB clearance.
- Returning/Transferring Students from a post-secondary Hawaiʻi school: Students who are re-enrolling at UH Hilo after an absence of 1 year or more or transferring from another post-secondary school in Hawaiʻi, may be cleared on the basis of their original certificate. Submit your original TB and MMR record or check with SMS if you have already submitted it. Those with a history of a positive TB test and a negative chest x-ray must complete the Tuberculosis Symptom Screening Form (PDF) also, linked on the Forms page.
You must provide documentation of:
- Two doses of MMR is required for students born after 1956. The first dose must have been given on or after 12 months-of-age and after January 1, 1968. Dose 2 must have been given at least a month after the first dose. Titers will no-longer be accepted.
- Two dose of Varicella (Chicken pox), exemption given to individuals born before 1980 or those with a documented disease signed off by a medical provider.
- One dose of Tdap (Tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis)
- If you will be living in on-campus housing/dorms please also submit MCV (Meningococcal Conjugate)
Although not required for enrollment, it is highly recommended that students receive the following immunizations:
- Hepatitis A and B
Have your healthcare provider fill out and sign the Health Requirements Form (PDF) that is included in this packet or you may attach a copy of your official immunization record to that Form. The record must have complete dates of the immunizations and be signed or stamped by a M.D., D.O., A.P.R.N., P.A. or clinic.
The health information is confidential and will be used to help you should you need our clinic services. Please feel free to contact Student Medical Services with any questions or concerns by calling (808) 932-7369.