Health Clearance Welcome Letter
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
The COVID-19 vaccine requirement will be enforced this fall 2021 for students who live in on-campus housing at UH Mānoa and UH Hilo because of the close communal contact or if student will be using any on-campus facilities or services. Please upload your COVID-19 Vaccine to LumiSight UH health check app and send your MCV Vaccine documentation to our office as soon as possible to be cleared for housing. Please send all sensitive information using UH File Drop to recipient: email@example.com, Fax: (808) 932-7368, or mail to UH Hilo Student Medical Services 200 W. Kawili street, Campus Center Room 212, Hilo, HI 96720.
COVID-19 Medical Exemption Form (PDF) and COVID-19 Religious Exemption Request will be available for student residents. Other limitations may apply to the unvaccinated, but they will not be prevented from enrolling in on-campus classes. New safety guidelines will be released outlining practices to protect all students and employees. Face coverings will be required while indoors on campus and all students, employees and visitors will still be required to utilize the LumiSight UH health check app, which now includes the ability to easily demonstrate vaccination status.
Please be aware that no TB can be placed in between COVID shots and must be four weeks after your last COVID vaccine or before the starting of the COVID vaccine and TB must be done before any "live vaccines" such as MMR and Varicella or four weeks after your last live vaccine. All other vaccines can be done without regard to timing of the COVID vaccines and TB placement.
Having an HW hold makes students eligible to register for online classes only. To register for in-person or hybrid classes, you must submit all outstanding health clearances to the UH Hilo Student Medical Services Department. The Health Requirements Form (PDF) is available to ensure all clearances are completed. Please contact the Student Medical Services Department for questions about which clearances are still outstanding.
Aloha to our New Students!
We welcome you to UH Hilo and our Student Medical Services (SMS) where you can come for your health needs. Located in the Campus Center, room 212, we have professional healthcare providers who offer immunizations, medical, and family planning care. Visit our forms page to download necessary forms.
Health Clearance Requirements
Important notice to Post-Secondary School Students, the State of Hawaiʻi has updated health requirements for post-secondary educational institutions. Please read and follow these directions carefully. You may not attend classes until you have fulfilled the requirements. Mail or fax the Health Requirements Form before your registration date. View a List of High Risk Countries for TB, as per the State of Hawaiʻi List Department of Health, Tuberculosis Control Program .
I. Tuberculosis Clearance: TB requirement must be met before attending classes.
- U.S. Students: A TB Risk Assessment and or a tuberculin test (PPD/Mantoux) is required for clearance. If positive, a chest x-ray done in the United States or by a U.S. licensed healthcare provider (M.D., D.O., A.P.R.N., or P.A.) within one year prior to enrollment is required.
- International Students including students from the Republic of Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau: All students must have a tuberculin skin test (PPD/Mantoux) performed in the U.S. or its Territories by a U.S. licensed healthcare provider (M.D., D.O., A.P.R.N., or P.A.) within one year prior to enrollment. If the TB test is given in a foreign country, the healthcare provider must document their license number and U.S. State from which it is issued. Upon arrival on campus, TB tests may be taken at Student Medical Services . A follow-up chest x-ray may be required if the TB skin test is positive.
- IGRAs (Interferon-Gamma Release Assays) Blood test, QFT-GIT (QuantiFeron-TB Gold-in-Tube test), and T-Spot TB test done in the United States are accepted for TB clearance.
- Returning/Transferring Students from a post-secondary Hawaiʻi school: Students who are re-enrolling at UH Hilo after an absence of 1 year or more or transferring from another post-secondary school in Hawaiʻi, may be cleared on the basis of their original certificate. Submit your original TB and MMR record or check with SMS if you have already submitted it. Those with a history of a positive TB test and a negative chest x-ray must complete the Tuberculosis Symptom Screening Form (PDF) also, linked on the Forms page.
You must provide documentation of:
- Two doses of MMR is required for students born after 1956. The first dose must have been given on or after 12 months-of-age and after January 1, 1968. Dose 2 must have been given at least a month after the first dose. Titers will no-longer be accepted.
- Two dose of Varicella (Chicken pox), exemption given to individuals born before 1980 or those with a documented disease signed off by a medical provider.
- One dose of Tdap (Tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis)
- If you will be living in on-campus housing/dorms please also submit MCV (Meningococcal Conjugate)
Although not required for enrollment, it is highly recommended that students receive the following immunizations:
- Hepatitis A and B
Have your healthcare provider fill out and sign the Health Requirements Form (PDF) that is included in this packet or you may attach a copy of your official immunization record to that Form. The record must have complete dates of the immunizations and be signed or stamped by a M.D., D.O., A.P.R.N., P.A. or clinic.
The health information is confidential and will be used to help you should you need our clinic services. Please feel free to contact Student Medical Services with any questions or concerns by calling (808) 932-7369.