Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs
A member of the Chancellor's senior leadership team, the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs provides vision, leadership, direction and accountability for non-instructional and co-curricular activities, programs and services that contribute to student development, learning and success. Her role is to focus on enhancing the student experience at UH Hilo, as well as ensuring that the student perspective is accounted for and heard by administration in their decision-making.
What Does the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Do?
At this time, the Vice Chancellor has identified the following goals and priorities to emphasize:
- Provide effective vision, leadership, oversight, direction and management for the Division of Student Affairs during a time of fiscal challenge;
- Lead efforts to gradually improve the access, engagement and retention of first- year students, as well as improve graduation rates, in particular for Native Hawaiian and other historically underserved students;
- Build and sustain stronger partnerships and collaborations between Academic Affairs and Student Affairs in support of initiatives to enhance student success;
- Provide leadership for effective enrollment management planning and implementation so as to meet University strategic priorities and fiscal goals;
- Serve as an advocate for policies, practices and programs which enhance the student experience, foster student learning/development, and encourage student involvement;
- Serve as a consultant/resource for faculty and administrators on issues of student-related policies, student intervention and student support, etc.;
- Identify and secure opportunities to increase student residential hall capacity, and improve the quality of student life at UH Hilo;
- Serve as a liaison with the University of Hawaiʻi System and with other UH campuses on student life issues.
- Play an integral role in public relations, local outreach and development efforts to increase UH Hilo’s positive impact in the community.