Student Employment How-To
You can reach us by phone at 808-932-7355, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by visiting the Student Employment Office in-person, during our normal office hours Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm HST.
How to Apply to an On-Campus Job
To SEARCH for an on-campus student employment position:
- Go to SECE Online Student Employment System. This will take you to the UH System’s online jobs search database.
- Click on the “Login Here” link in the upper right corner of the page.
- Click on the “UH Login” button under UH Students and Faculty/ Staff. Use your MyUH username (name precedes @hawaii.edu) and password.
- If this is your first time logging into the SECE website you will be prompted by the site to complete an online student registration form. If you are returning to the website you will be directed to the “Home” page.
- On the Home page, click on the “View your current eligibility” button located to the right of the screen. A separate window will open titled “SE System Eligibility Matrix”.
- Return to the Home page and begin your job search in the program(s) for which you are eligible. Click the “Search” button and your Search Results will populate accordingly.
To APPLY for an on-campus student employment position:
- Click on the “Position Title” you are interested in. A separate window will open titled “Job Listing” and will provide you with the details of the position.
- Make sure you read the job duties and qualifications for the position. If you are interested in applying for the position, click on the “Add to Job Cart” button located at both the top and bottom of the page.
- To proceed with the application go to the “Job Cart” tab on the top left-hand side. To process the positions in your Job Cart, select the position (a maximum of 5 per day) and then click on the “Apply Now” button on the right.
- Read the application information page thoroughly as each position has different applying methods. It may be through the SECE website, in person, or via email, and may require submitting a Cover Letter, Resume, and Transcript, etc. Click on the “Agree” button to accept the terms.
- The Employer Information page provides the contact information for the employer you are applying with. Additional Information provides the employer’s instructions, for example “To apply, please send an email with attached resume to "email@example.com".
Accepting the Position
Completing a Federal Employment Eligibility Form (Form I-9)
- If an employer elects to hire you for the position, you will then be instructed to come to the Student Employment Office located in the Student Services Building, Room E-127, to complete a Federal Employment Eligibility Verification Form (Form I-9). Contact the Student Employment Office by phone at 808-932-7355 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org during normal office hours Monday through Friday 8:00 am- 4:00 pm HST.
- Student employees must provide documentation to show their identity and authorization to work. In order to complete the I-9 form, student employees must provide two original unexpired forms of identification from the List of Acceptable Documents for the I-9 Form for the I-9 form. Student employees may provide one selection from List A or a combination of one selection from List B and one selection from List C. We are unable to accept photocopies. For more information, please visit U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services website.
How to Complete a Timesheet
- Log in to your SECE Online Student Employment System account.
- In the top left-hand corner of the screen there are list of selections. Select Timesheets.
- The Online Timesheet- Main Menu will populate on your screen. Select Create a New/ Late Timesheet to create a new timesheet.
- The dates for the current timesheet will autopopulate. Click on the date to input the times worked including start of shift, breaks, and end of shift.
- If you input your hours daily and are not ready to submit your timesheet to your supervisor, select Save Only at the bottom of your timesheet. When your timesheet is complete and you are ready to submit it at the end of the pay period, select Submit to Supervisor.
Setting Up Your Direct Deposit
- If you are a new student employee, you must wait until after you receive your first paycheck before you are able to set up your direct deposit.
- Log in to your MyUH Services.
- Search Hawai'i Information Portal or HIP in the search bar at the top. Select tile link.
- Sign in using your UH username and password.
- Your Employee Self-Service homepage will populate with a grid of nine tiles. Locate and select Direct Deposit.
- Input your banking information as follows:
Account type- Savings or Checking
Bank Routing Number
Bank Account Number
Deposit Type- Select Balance of Net Pay
If there is an error message when inputting your bank information, please contact our office.
- Direct deposit can take up to two pay periods before funds are electronically deposited into your bank account.