UH Hilo Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) - 2011-2015 Strategic Plan
The Committee's Charge
By the end of May 2011, to develop a realistic and measurable 2011-2015 Strategic Plan for UH Hilo that reflects the unique aspects of the university within the broader UH System, and to advise on appropriate implementation and monitoring.
Format of the strategic plan document
The resulting strategic plan document should be concise, specific, and clearly set out UH Hilo’s unique identity and strategic goals for the next five years. The document should be short, on the order of five pages in length.
Period of the plan
The plan will cover the period 2011-2015 to bring UH Hilo in line with the UH System strategic planning cycle and match the WASC review cycle. However, in recognition that strategic plans need to remain flexible and responsive, the plan will be revisited for possible revision every few years. As initial development of the plan will be completed by the end of May 2011, the next formal review of the plan will be in 2013.
Plan implementation and monitoring
The strategic plan will be the basis for budget and human resource decisions, including future program change requests, and its performance indicators will be tracked for evidence of progress toward plan goals.
In addition, individual colleges and other units will be asked to develop plans of their own to support and implement the strategic plan (process to be developed).
The strategic plan must be:
- Aligned with the broader UH System Strategic Plan, objectives, outcome measures, and presidential initiatives (e.g., the Hawaiʻi Graduation Initiative).
- Realistic within the university’s current and anticipated human resource and budgetary resources.
- Based on key evidence from internal and external sources (including WASC accreditation evaluations) and an analysis of the university’s current situation, the situation within the broader local and state community, and higher education trends, mandates and best practices.
- Based on effective consultation with UH Hilo stakeholders – faculty, staff, students, alumni, local community and others, including actively seeking input on the mission and vision of UH Hilo and identified priorities, goals and potential strategies.
- By the end of December 2010 and in consultation with UH Hilo stakeholders, review and revise the mission and vision statements of UH Hilo based on evidence from the pre-planning stage, UH System plans and policies, and other relevant information.
- By the end of January 2011, identify draft strategic goals for UH Hilo through review of the pre-planning evidence, relevant documents or reports (e.g., state/island workforce needs, WASC reports, institutional data) and the UH System strategic plan.
- By the end of February 2011, consult effectively on the draft strategic goals with internal and external stakeholders to identify any key gaps, and to identify potential actions for meeting the draft goals.
- By the end of March 2011, review UH Hilo’s current institutional key performance indicators and recommend indicators that would be most appropriate for the university to monitor over the next five years.
- By the end of April 2011, develop a full draft strategic plan and consult on this draft plan with a broad range of UH Hilo stakeholders.
- By the end of May 2011, recommend a 2011-2015 strategic plan document for approval by the chancellor, and provide advice to the chancellor on implementing and monitoring the plan.
View the Committee's progress against these specific instructions.
The Chair of the SPC is Kelly Burke (CoBE representative), and Vice-Chair, Marcia Sakai (Executive representative)
- Maria Haws - College of Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resource Management (Assistant Professor, Acquaculture)
- Jackie Johnson - CAS: Humanities (Professor, Performing Arts)
- Mazen Hamad - CAS: Natural Sciences (Assistant Professor, Chemistry)
- Errol Yudko - CAS: Social Sciences (Associate Professor, Psychology)
- Kelly Burke - College of Business and Economics (Professor, Management Information Systems)
- Karen Pellegrin - College of Pharmacy (Director of Cont/Distance Education and Strategic Planning)
- Pila Wilson - Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani (Professor, Papahana Mokuna Kalaiʻike)
- Thora Abarca -(Librarian, Edwin Mookini Library)
- Kainoa Ariola - (Director, Advising Center)
- Harry Yada - (Director, Real Property)
- Jim Cromwell - (Director, Admissions)
- Marcia Sakai - (Dean, CoBE)
- Elizabeth Stacy - (Associate Professor, Biology)
- Gail Makuakane-Lundin - (Executive Coordinator, Student Development Programs)
- Devaki Drozario (primary student member
- Tracey Niimi (alternate student member)
- Barry Mark (Ameriprise Financial Services Inc) (community representative)
In addition, Siân Millard (Strategic Planning Coordinator) acts as secretary and provides staff support to the SPC and is a non-voting member.
Following self-nominations from within the SPC's own membership, the Chancellor appointed a five-member drafting sub-committee to lead the committee through development and editing of the plan document. Members of the drafting subcommittee are:
- Thora Abarca - Jim Cromwell
- Siân Millard (Chair, non-voting SPC member)
- Maria Haws - Harry Yada
Meeting Schedule and Papers
The Strategic Planning Committee was committed to transparency in the strategic planning process and as a result posted its meeting agenda's papers and minutes to this website (unless confidential to the committee).
Please note that the views and/or opinions expressed in these meeting papers do not necessarily reflect the official view of UH Hilo.
- November 3rd 2010, 9-11am
- SPC 01/10 Charge and Process
- SPC 02/10 Roles and Responsibilities
- SPC 03/10 Strategic Planning Context
- SPC 03/10 Tabled Paper - UH Hilo Progress Towards UH System Strategic Outcomes and Performance Measures, and Budget-linked Performance Targets
- SPC 03/10 Annex I
- SPC 03/10 Annex II
- SPC 03/10 Annex III
- SPC 04/10 Communicating Strategic Planning (this item was not discussed at the meeting due to lack of time - the paper was re-written for the 2nd meeting)
- November 17th 2010, 8-10am
- SPC 04/10 Minutes of the First Meeting
- SPC 05/10 What Strategic Planning Is and Is Not
- SPC 06/10 Communicating Strategic Planning
- Note that the original intention was to develop a communications strategy based on the process set out in paper SPC 06/10 above, but it became apparent the day before the meeting that there would be limited time to spend on the exercise so the committee instead discussed a draft strategy developed by Siân Millard - see Additional paper 2 below:
- Additional paper 2- Communications Strategy 1st Draft
- Additional paper 1 - Assessment of Listening Tour Outcomes
- Additional paper 3 - December Ka Lono Hanakahi Newsletter Article - draft
- November 23rd 2010, 9-11am
- December 1st 2010, 8-10am
- SPC 11/10 Workplan for Vision and Mission Development - updated Note that the workplan will remain flexible to respond to any unforeseen circumstances
- SPC 12/10 Communications Strategy - FINAL Note that the communications strategy will remain flexible to be adjusted where necessary.
- SPC 13/10 Principle to Guide UH Hilo Enrollment Management
- SPC 14/10 Summary of Recent WASC Recommendations
- SPC 14/10 Annex I June 2003 WASC Action Letter
- SPC 14/10 Annex II June 2004 WASC Action Letter
- SPC 14/10 Annex III June 2008 WASC Action Letter
- SPC 14/10 Annex IV March 2010 WASC Action Letter
- SPC 15/10 Minutes of the Third Meeting
- SPC 16/10 Outcomes of Listening Tour
- December 7th 2010, 9-11am
- SPC 17/10 Minutes of the Fourth Meeting
- SPC 18/10 Characteristics of Mission and Vision Statements
- SPC 18/10 Annex I Mission and Vision Statements from the UH System
- SPC 18/10 Annex II UH Hilo Profile Summary
- SPC 18/10 Annex III UH Mānoa Profile Summary
- SPC 18/10 Annex IV UH West 'Oahu Profile Summary
- SPC 18/10 Annex V UH Maui College Profile Summary
- December 13th 2010, 2-4pm
- January 5th 2011, 2-4pm
- January 12th 2011, 8-10am
- January 14th 2011, 8-10am
- January 21st 2011, 8-10am
- SPC 12/11 Minutes of the Ninth Meeting
- SPC 13/11 Consultation Update and Town-Hall Plan
- SPC 14/11 Implementation Ideas Paper (confidential - not available for public release at this time)
- Note: paper 14/11 related to the SPC's charge to advise the Chancellor on implementation of the strategic plan.
- January 31st 2011, 8-10am
- Minutes (n/a)
- SPC 15/11 Minutes of the Tenth Meeting
- SPC 16/11 Key Points from Chancellor's Spring Gathering speech
- SPC 17/11 Draft Mission/Vision Consultation Feedback and Next Steps
- SPC 17/11 Annex I Town hall Session 1 - Summary
- SPC 17/11 Annex I Town hall Session 2 - Summary
- SPC 17/11 Annex I Town hall Session 3 - Summary
- SPC 17/11 Annex I Town hall Session 4 - Summary
- SPC 17/11 Annex II Email feedback - Confidential to the SPC
- SPC 17/11 Annex III Survey Raw Responses - Confidential to the SPC
- SPC 17/11 Annex IV Initial Summary Report Draft Mission/Vision Consultation - Confidential to the SPC (full report will be made public by end Feb 2011)
- February 4th 2011, 8-10am
- February 11th 2011, 8-10am
- SPC 19/11 Minutes of the Twelfth Meeting
- SPC 20/11 Revising the Draft Mission and Vision Statements - Process Options
- SPC 21/11 Developing Goals, Actions and Performance Indicators - Process Option
- SPC 22/11 Implementation and Monitoring Recommendations - 2nd draft (paper and discussion confidential to the SPC at this time)
- February 18th 2011, 8-10am
- February 23rd 2011, 8-10am
- March 4th 2011, 8-10am
March 11th 2011, 8-10am - Meeting canceled - campus closure
- March 16th 2011, 8-10am
- March 18th 2011, 8-10am
- SPC33/11 Minutes of the Seventeenth Meeting
- SPC 34/11 Strategic Plan Section 1 for approval (confidential to the SPC)
- SPC 35/11 Developing Strategic Goals and Actions - meeting 5
- SPC 35/11 Annex I Goals and Actions Skeleton Matrix (confidential to the SPC)
- March 29th 2011, 8-10am
- SPC 36/11 Minutes of the Eighteenth Meeting
- SPC 37/11 Amended minutes of the 17th meeting (as above)
- SPC 38/11 Feedback from Chancellor and VC's on Draft Strategic Plan (confidential to the SPC)
- SPC 39/11 Draft Strategic Plan Section 1 and 2 (confidential to the SPC)
- SPC 40/11Expanded Sections 1 and 2 for SPC use (confidential to the SPC)
- April 1st 2011, 8-10am
- SPC 41/11 Minutes of the Nineteenth Meeting
- SPC 42/11 Goals Consultation Plan
- SPC 42/11 Annex I Draft Questionnaire for Consultation (confidential to the SPC)
- SPC 43/11 Update 'What we stand for' section (confidential to the SPC)
- SPC 44/11 Goals and Actions Proposal (confidential to the SPC)
- April 8th 2011, 8-10am
- April 15th 2011, 8-10am
- April 20th 2011, 8-10am
- April 27th 2011, 8-10am
- May 2nd 2011, 8-10am
- May 4th 2011, 8-10am
- May 9th 2011, 9-11am
- May 13th 2011, 9-11am
- May 18th 2011, 8-10am
- SPC 65/11 Minutes of the Twenty-Eighth Meeting
- SPC 66/11 Impact Indicators (confidential to the SPC)
- SPC 66/11 Annex I NSSE Benchmarks of Educational Effectiveness
- May 25th 2011, 1-3pm
- (Final meeting) May 27th 2011, 1-3pm
- SPC 71/11 Minutes of the Thirtieth Meeting
- SPC 72/11 Final draft strategic plan for approval - final draft recommended to the Chancellor
- SPC 73/11 Final draft Overall Progress Indicators for approval (confidential to the SPC and the Chancellor at this stage)
- SPC 74/11 Final draft Action Progress Indicators for approval (confidential to the SPC and the Chancellor at this stage)
- SPC 75/11 Final draft Implementation recommendations (confidential to the SPC and the Chancellor at this stage)