Importance of Place Committee
Meeting Schedule and Notes
- June 17, 2020: Charge and first conversation
- July 23, 2020: Learning from our networks
- August 21, 2020: Narrowing focus, finding direction
- September 23, 2020: Digging deeper into identified projects
- October 30, 2020: Moving projects forward
- November 24, 2020: Focus on our upcoming projects set for Spring semester
- December 18, 2020: Continued focus on our upcoming projects set for Spring semester
- January 25, 2021: A look at projects and the bigger picture
- February 22, 2021: Project updates and discussion of UH Hilo's strategic planning thematic goals and how they intersect with place
- March 22, 2021: Project updates and discussion of UH Hilo's strategic planning thematic goals, strategies, and actions and how they intersect with place
- April 26, 2021: Project updates and discussion of UH Hilo's strategic planning thematic strategies and actions and how they intersect with place
- May 24, 2021: Project updates and plans for the future
- June 29, 2021: Combined meeting
- September 24, 2021: Re-engaging and looking at our action plan role
- October 29, 2021: Project updates and planning for future projects
- November 23, 2021: Discussing current projects, as well as future action plan projects
- April 13, 2022: Action Plan work
- June 2, 2022: Focus on Action Plan work
- July 5, 2022: Big Picture Discussions
- July 28, 2022: Big Picture Discussion continues
The Importance of Place Committee will examine how place impacts academics, the student experience, hiring and retention, professional development, promotion and tenure, community engagement, regional education and economic needs, research and collaborative efforts, campus culture, and our physical facility. The Strategic Doing Committees are charged to consult widely and form partnerships in order to convert ideas to outcomes with measurable characteristics. Conversations will be framed around appreciative questions and pre-planning evidence will serve as a resource throughout the process.
Strategic Doing principles will help guide the Doing Committees:
- UH Hilo has a responsibility to build a prosperous, sustainable future for ourselves and future generations of faculty, staff, and students. This responsibility significantly impacts our community, the region, and the world.
- Leadership should be a shared characteristic of the committee, because it will allow the group to tap into varying abilities and perspectives to meet our complex challenges.
- No individual or organization can build a future alone. Projects that forge and leverage connections across units or involve collaboration among many stakeholders are particularly important. Strategy has to be a team effort and true collaboration involves linking, leveraging, and aligning resources.
- Open, honest, focused, and caring collaboration among participants is the path to accomplishing clear, valuable, shared outcomes.
- Belief in doing, not just talking is a key to moving us forward.
- Efforts must align with UH Hilo’s values. Core Values: Diversity, Student-Focus, Relationship-Oriented. Aspirational Values: Collaboration, Integrity, Passion, Innovation