Our Strategic Clarity
We exist to empower leaders who will cultivate opportunity in our communities.
Mission (How We Fulfill Our Purpose)
ʻAʻohe pau ka ʻike i ka hālau hoʻokahi.
One learns from many sources.
The UH Hilo ‘ohana inspires learning, discovery, and innovation in unique environments that challenge each student to reach their academic, personal and professional goals. Our kuleana is to improve the quality of life of our diverse campus community, the people of Hawaiʻi Island, the state, the Pacific region and the world.
Core and Aspirational Values
We value diversity and strive to be student-focused and relationship-oriented. We seek to become more collaborative, intentional, and innovative. We believe that UH Hilo’s diversity offers strength, but is only meaningful if we focus on equity, removing barriers to opportunity, fair treatment, and access for all.
We make key decisions by considering responses to these questions:
- Does it contribute to student achievement, persistence and success?
- Does it make the most of our assets - place and people?
- Is it scalable across the institution?
- Does it lift the ‘ohana?
We acknowledge that our goals will be critically supported by substantial improvements in these areas:
Legacy Strengths and Strategic Doing at UH Hilo
In 2020, our UH Hilo ʻohana members were ready to see progress; however, not all the pieces were in place to complete a full plan. So, two strategic doing committees were formed to focus on the university’s legacy strengths, as identified at UH Hilo’s strategic planning summit:
These committees initiated projects and supported existing ideas that advance relationships and sense of place, that strong identity we share with our local community and our island home.
- Ka Leo o ka Uluau, a 24-episode podcast designed to hoʻokamaʻāina or acquaint listeners to the island of Hawaiʻi.
- Wailau, a series of themed events that create a stage for storytelling in our community, breaking barriers and helping people to find common ground.
- An on-campus gardens mapping project that will make it easier for members of our campus community to volunteer and connect with the ʻāina.
- A foundational course redesign that grounds students in place while introducing them to college life at UH Hilo.
Aside from work on these and other projects, the committees have provided feedback and engaged in big picture discussions that have informed the planning process.
- 2021-2031 Strategic Plan Home
- What is Planning Success?
- Our Process and Journey
- Our Strategic Clarity
- Our Vision
- Strategic Thematic Goals to Realize Our Vision
- Action Plans
- Measuring and Evaluating Success
- Papa Wehewehe ʻŌlelo/Glossary
- Download the 2021-2031 UH Hilo Strategic Plan as a PDF