Non Smoking Policy
To: UH Hilo Community
From: Debra Fitzsimons, Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs
Date: February 15, 2011
Subject: Reminder of UH Hilo Non-Smoking Policy
As a friendly reminder, effective January 2003, the University of Hawaiʻi system implemented a Tobacco Products policy in an effort to improve the working and learning environment of the university, and protect faculty, staff, students, and visitors from secondhand smoke exposure while on University of Hawaiʻi campuses. Under this policy, smoking is prohibited in the following areas:
- All interior space owned, rented, or leased by the university;
- In building courtyards, breezeways, and terraces, on exterior stairways and access ramps, and outdoor dining patios, terraces, and lanais;
- Within 20 feet of building entrances, exits, air intake ducts, vents, and windows of building that are not air-conditioned;
- Within 50 feet of designated pick-up and drop-off points for campus and public bus transportation;
- Along accessible routes throughout campus (see University Disability Services maps page (PDF) for routes)
- Within the gates of the university's outdoor sports and performing arts stadiums and arenas, including walkways, corridors, and seating areas; and,
- Any area that has been designated by the person having control of the area as a non-smoking area and marked with a no smoking sign.
UH Hilo will place additional signage throughout campus to identify non-smoking areas.
In the spirit of aloha, we ask that all individuals, smokers and non-smokers alike, please be courteous and respect the rights of others. If you have questions, please contact the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs at (808) 932-7650, or the Environmental Health and Safety Office at (808) 932-7638.
- UH Tobacco Products Policy (EP 10.102)
- Hawaiʻi Smoke Free Law (State Department of Health website)
- UH Hilo Environmental Health and Safety website
Now out-of-service phone numbers listed in the original memo have been updated on this page.