Administration of Research at UH Hilo
Support for research and scholarly activities at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo is coordinated by the UH Hilo Research Office, led by Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
The UH Hilo Research Council, whose members are appointed by the vice chancellor for academic affairs for three-year terms, is the chief recommending body for the vice chancellor. The council administers the intramural grant program, proposes policies and procedures for extramural grant activities by the campus, and advises the vice chancellor on matters concerned with research and grant activity. The UH Hilo Research Council is convened by Kris Roney, VCAA .
Faculty members applying for grants:
Please review Extramural Funding links in the menu (sidebar) and contact your college/unit Research Council member.
For additional information, please contact Dawn Namahoe in the Research Office.
Research Office Staff
UH Hilo Research Office
The UH Hilo Research Office staff provides grant support in functional areas. Please review the links in the sidebar for more information.
- Bruce Mathews - Dean, College of Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resource Management; Research Office Coordinator
- Dawn Namahoe - Administrative/Fiscal Specialist
- Mary Jo Riehm - Fiscal Accounting Associate (Post-Award)
- Pre-award Specialist - vacant
- Paula Gealon - Administration/Fiscal Services A dministrator
- Christy Ancheta - Administrative/Fiscal Services Specialist
- Junko Calma - Administrative Services Associate
- Lenore Puuohau-Pummill - Fiscal Specialist
- Sharon Ziegler-Chong - RCP, Director; HCSU, Unit Leader
- Lori Bufil - HCSU Program Coordinator
- Hiipoi “Akau” Kon - RCP Program Administrator
UH System - Office of Research Services (ORS) staff on UH Hilo campus
- Nozomi Kanoho - Contracts and Grants Special Projects Assistant Manager, Pre-Award Specialist
- Toni-Ann Samio - Contracts Specialist
- Outline of the Extramural Grant Application Process and Grant Support at UH Hilo (PDF)
- Letter from VCAA Matt Platz, dated March 25, 2015
- ORS Memo Establishing a Grant Office at UH Hilo (PDF)
- Effective July 1, 2014