Outdoor Community Events
Our goal is to get students involved in the community and lifelong fitness events!
This is just an informational page for students to find out about outdoor recreational fitness events that are going on the community. None of these events are sponsored, put on or endorsed by UH Hilo or Campus Recreation. Please see each websites/respective for more detailed information about these and other events.
Volcano National Park has reopened part of the Park.
Here is link to the map of what is open currently Park Map
Most of the park is still in recovery, there is no potable water in the park and there is only one set of flush toilets at the visitor station. The National park reminds everyone to please use caution when visiting because they are still in a recovery phase.
Hawaiʻi’s Triple Crown Half Marathon Series
This is the Hilo, Kona and Volcano Half marathons. This is a run series, the 2019 triple crown has not been released. You can still register for the Hilo and Kona half. The 2019 Volcano Rain forest Run date has not been released yet. More info on the Triple Crown and Rain forest runs can be found at Volcano Rain Forest Runs
Big Runs that are going on Hawaiʻi Island each year
- Hilo to Volcano 50k Ultra or Relay – Hilo- January 6th 2019
- Big Island International Marathon - Hilo - March 17th 2019
- Hawaiʻi Bird Conservation Marathon – Volcano Hawaiʻi – December 16th 2018- The race limit has already been reached for this course. This is a Boston Marathon Qualifier and official Marathon PR race. Proceeds go to Hawaiʻi Bird Conservation.
- Kau Coffee Trail Half Marathon and Fun Run - All profits from this event go back to the keiki and kupuna of Ka’ū. The event is put on entirely by volunteers. The run will be held at the Ka’ū Coffee Mill in Pāhala, Hawaiʻi (Hawaiʻi Island), September 21, 2019. Race Page
- Kona Marathon - Kona Hawaiʻi- June 30th 2019
- REVEL Kulia – Waikoloa, HI- March 9th 2019- This is known for amazing views and being the premier Mountain to Sea Marathon! It is also a Boston Qualifying and PR timing marathon!
- Valentine’s Day run – February – Reed’s Bay – Free- run Tied together with a Friend or loved one
- Waikaumalo 7-Mile Challenge and 4-Mile Run – Late February
- Scholarship 5k Run – May Reed’s Bay
- Mana 10’s – 10k or 10 mile- Mauna Road – August
- Scholarship 5k Run – Normally in May Reed’s Bay
- Kua Coffee Trail Run - Normally in Aug
- Color Vibe 5K - Kona Side Race
- September 21st 2019- Walk to End Alzheimer’s
Major Triathlons Held in on the Big island
- Ironman Wold Champonships - Oct 13th 2018
- Honu 70.3 – June 1st- Kohala Coast
- Ultraman - Invite only- 320 mile three day event Nov 24-27th 2018
- LavaMan – This is a triathlon, there is also a 5k and a kids event- March -2019
- XTerra Hawaiʻi Island at Hapuna Beach - late August- off-road triathlon. Premired in 2018, we are hopeful for another race in 2019!
Ocean Swimming Events
- Cinco de Mayo Splash at Anaehoʻomalu Bay (1 mile) -- early May. Sign-up link for 2019, is closed. Keep a lookout at the Cinco Splash facebook page for the next sign-up, space is limited to 250 swimmers
- Hapuna Rough Water Swim at Hapuna Beach (1 mile) – normally in June and hosted by HPA
- King’s Swim in Kailua-Kona (1.2 mile) – normally in June or July
- Richardson's Roughwater Swim at Richardson's Beach (1 mile) -- late July
- Aliʻi Challenge - Keauhou Bay to the Kona Pier (10K) - normally in August, normaly done as a relay
- Kukiʻo Blue Water Swim at Kua Bay (1.2 mile) -- September (benefits go to The Nature Conservancy)
- Ho'ala Ironman Training Swim at Kailua-Kona (2.4 miles) -- normally early October, the week before the Ironman Triathlon World Championships
Marathons on other islands that are worth the trip!
- Aloha Marathon Series – January 24th to January 27th – Kapaa, Kauai- 50K, 26.2M, 13.1M, 5K run
- Honolulu Marathon - This is a no time limit marathon with tons of scenery and events along the course. It is a great first marathon!- Dec 9th 2018
- Maui Marathon – This is a very scenic course and is great for new or experienced marathons. It is a great way to see Maui. October each year
- Maui Oceanfront Marathon - Maui – Jan 20th 2019
- Hapalua Half Marathon - This is a great first Half marathon, Held in Honolulu and very festive. – April 14, 2019
- Honolulu Ekiden – Marathon and Marathon Relay- May 19th 2019- Honolulu Hawaiʻi
- Kauaʻi Marathon – Visit the flower island and see it is scenic views first hand! – September 1st 2019
- Sea to Starts Road Race – This race is from Hilo Bay to Manua Kea State Park on Saddle Road. It is typicaly heald each August
As a reminder, this is just an informational page for students to find out about outdoor recreational fitness events that are going on the community. None of these events are sponsored, put on or endorsed by UH Hilo or Campus Recreation. Please see each websites/respective for more detailed information about these and other events.