Outdoor Community Events
Our goal is to get students involved in the community and lifelong fitness events!
This is just an informational page for students to find out about outdoor recreational fitness events that are going on the community. None of these events are sponsored, put on or endorsed by UH Hilo or Campus Recreation. Please see each websites/respective for more detailed information about these and other events.
Volcano National Park has reopened parts of the Park.
Here is link to the map of what is open currently Park Map
Most of the park is still in recovery, there is no potable water in the park and there is only one set of flush toilets at the visitor station. The National park reminds everyone to please use caution when visiting because they are still in a recovery phase.
Hawaiʻi’s Triple Crown Half Marathon Series
This is the Hilo, Kona and Volcano Half marathons. This is a run series, the 2020 triple crown has not been released. You can still register for the Hilo and Kona half. The 2019 Volcano Rain forest Run date has not been released yet. More info on the Triple Crown and Rain forest runs can be found at Volcano Rain Forest Runs
Big Runs that are going on Hawaiʻi Island each year
- Hilo to Volcano 50k Ultra or Relay
- Big Island International Marathon -
- Hawaiʻi Bird Conservation Marathon – Volcano Hawaiʻi
- Kau Coffee Trail Half Marathon and Fun Run - Super fun Race in beautiful Ka'u! Race Page
- Kona Marathon - Kona Hawaiʻi-
- REVEL Kulia – Waikoloa, HI This is known for amazing views and being the premier Mountain to Sea Marathon!
- 100% Pure Kona Coffee Marathon - If you love running and coffee, this is for you!
- Valentine’s Day run
- Waikaumalo 7-Mile Challenge and 4-Mile Run
- Scholarship 5k Run
- Mana 10’s – 10k or 10 mile- Mauna Road
- Scholarship 5k Run
- Kua Coffee Trail Run
- Color Vibe 5K - Kona Side Race
- Walk to End Alzheimer’s
Major Triathlons Held in on the Big island
- Ironman Wold Championships
- Honu 70.3 Kohala Coast
- Ultraman - Invite only- 320 mile three day event
- LavaMan – This is a triathlon, there is also a 5k and a kids event-
- XTerra Hawaiʻi Island at Hapuna Beach
Ocean Swimming Events
- Cinco de Mayo Splash at Anaehoʻomalu Bay (1 mile)Keep a lookout at the Cinco Splash facebook page
- Hapuna Rough Water Swim at Hapuna Beach (1 mile)
- King’s Swim in Kailua-Kona (1.2 mile)
- Richardson's Roughwater Swim at Richardson's Beach (1 mile)
- Aliʻi Challenge - Keauhou Bay to the Kona Pier (10K)
- Kukiʻo Blue Water Swim at Kua Bay (1.2 mile)
- Ho'ala Ironman Training Swim at Kailua-Kona (2.4 miles)
Marathons on other islands that are worth the trip!
- Aloha Marathon Series Kapaa, Kauai- 50K, 26.2M, 13.1M, 5K run
- Honolulu Marathon -
- Maui Marathon – This is a very scenic course and is great for new or experienced marathons. It is a great way to see Maui.
- Maui Oceanfront Marathon - Maui
- Hapalua Half Marathon - This is a great first Half marathon, Held in Honolulu and very festive.
- Honolulu Ekiden – Marathon and Marathon Relay- Honolulu Hawaiʻi
- Kauaʻi Marathon – Visit the flower island and see it is scenic views first hand!
- Mauna Kea Challenge This is a 50k and a 50 Miler with about 7,500 feet of elevation gain! Please check out the website for more info!
As a reminder, this is just an informational page for students to find out about outdoor recreational fitness events that are going on the community. None of these events are sponsored, put on or endorsed by UH Hilo or Campus Recreation. Please see each websites/respective for more detailed information about these and other events.