Learning to Care Classes
The Aquatic Program offers a variety of certifications to its members.
To sign-up you must come in and pay for the class in Cash or check during the business weeks prior to your class.
All classes are only open to UH Hilo students and members of the Student Life Center.
American Red Cross Classes - Spring 2016
First Aid/CPR/AED class
This is a one day CPR class- It is valid for 2 years and includes Adult, Child and Infant certifications CPR/First Aid/AED certifications. Cost 40 Dollars. This is a great class to take to gain needed background knowledge and potential lifesaving skills
- September 3rd
- October 1st
- November 5th
CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Healthcare Providers with First Aid
- September 4th
- October 2nd
- November 6th
This is a class that is intended for students who are accepted and/or work in the Healthcare field. This class includes topics for Adult, Child and Infant skills, professional topics including Two Person CPR and use of a Bag-Valve Mask (BVM). This is a one day class offered only for UH Hilo Students and SLC members. Cost is 50 Dollars
This class includes the full 2 year American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification with First Aid/CPR for the Lifeguard. All certifications are for 2 years from certification date.
There is a swim test to enter this class that will be done on day one of class. Please try the swim test before signing up for the class. Information on the swim test can be found at the red cross website. You MUST pass the swim test before signing up for the class. Please see the Lifeguards at the pool to take the test.
There are three opportunities to become certified offered this semester. Each Class is three days long; Students must attend all three days of the same class set and complete skills to earn certification. Cost 135 Dollars.
- Option one for full certification class- September 9th, 10th, 11th
- Option two for full certification class- October 21st, 22nd, 23rd
- Who can sign-up for the course? current UH Hilo Students or members of the Student Life Center.
- Which course is for me? Please consult the organization that you are needing the course for to ensure that you are in the correct course. Example is if you need needing a certification card for work, does your employer take American Red Cross certifications and what level are they needing. Most people need just the basic/lay responder level of CPR/First Aid/AED. O
- What is the lifeguard swim test? The lifeguard swim test is a 300 swim using only freestyle or breaststroke, two minutes of treading water without the use of your arms and the timed retrieval of a 10-pound brick from depth.
- How long are the classes? Most CPR courses are 5-7 hours starting at 9am. The Lifeguarding course is about 24 hours starting Friday evening 5pm-9:30pm and both Saturday/Sunday at 8am to about 6pm.
- Are the courses physically demanding? Yes, the courses will require you to do multiple minutes of CPR and rolling victims and the lifeguarding courses will be hours and hours in the water, lifting and moving people. Please consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions about your ability to preform these tasks.