HELP Symposium - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Location: UH Hilo, Campus Center 307
The Spring HELP Symposium will be held on Friday, May 2 at Campus Center 301, UH Hilo.
The biannual HELP Symposium is designed to bring awareness to the needs of the Pacific Island communities and the efforts of Pacific Islander college students to engage in community-based projects that impact their education and help their community. The Highly Engaged Learning Placement (HELP) program is part of the high impact student employment initiative at the Pacific Islander Student Center (PISC) at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo.
PISC has invited undergraduate students from UH Mānoa’s Center for Pacific Islands Studies to present research on community-based projects that they have completed as part of the BA capstone project. These graduating students will discuss projects such as ways that voyaging has strengthened Pacific communities in Oʻahu, how teens contribute to family finances with after-school jobs, healthcare for migrants in Hawaiʻi, coupon-ing to save on household expenses, and several other projects on health, environment, and culture. The full program including times and a description of presentations is available at help.pacificstudents.org/symposium/.
The symposium also features a special lunchtime keynote presentation “Pacific Islander Students Navigating Success at UH Hilo” by Dr. Denise Uehara. Dr. Uehara, Assistant Professor in the College of Education at UH Mānoa, will highlight about the preliminary findings from research on Pacific Islander students at UH Hilo.
The Spring HELP Symposium is sponsored by UH Hilo’s Pacific Islander Student and Pacific Islands Studies Certificate, and UH Mānoa’s Center for Pacific Islands Studies, Office for Student Equity, Excellence and Diversity (SEED), and Friends of Operation Manong.
The public can register for free at help.pacificstudents.org/registration/. Please register early to receive a complimentary parking pass.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 8084304837
What's also happening?
Week of April 27, 2014Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.