HELP Symposium - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Location: UH Hilo, Campus Center 307
The Spring HELP Symposium will be held on Friday, May 2 at Campus Center 301, UH Hilo.
The biannual HELP Symposium is designed to bring awareness to the needs of the Pacific Island communities and the efforts of Pacific Islander college students to engage in community-based projects that impact their education and help their community. The Highly Engaged Learning Placement (HELP) program is part of the high impact student employment initiative at the Pacific Islander Student Center (PISC) at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo.
PISC has invited undergraduate students from UH Mānoa’s Center for Pacific Islands Studies to present research on community-based projects that they have completed as part of the BA capstone project. These graduating students will discuss projects such as ways that voyaging has strengthened Pacific communities in Oʻahu, how teens contribute to family finances with after-school jobs, healthcare for migrants in Hawaiʻi, coupon-ing to save on household expenses, and several other projects on health, environment, and culture. The full program including times and a description of presentations is available at help.pacificstudents.org/symposium/.
The symposium also features a special lunchtime keynote presentation “Pacific Islander Students Navigating Success at UH Hilo” by Dr. Denise Uehara. Dr. Uehara, Assistant Professor in the College of Education at UH Mānoa, will highlight about the preliminary findings from research on Pacific Islander students at UH Hilo.
The Spring HELP Symposium is sponsored by UH Hilo’s Pacific Islander Student and Pacific Islands Studies Certificate, and UH Mānoa’s Center for Pacific Islands Studies, Office for Student Equity, Excellence and Diversity (SEED), and Friends of Operation Manong.
The public can register for free at help.pacificstudents.org/registration/. Please register early to receive a complimentary parking pass.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 8084304837
What's also happening?
|Week of April 27, 2014||Next →|
- Free Video Production workshop series
- Learn the principles of producing professional video content from two highly experienced entertainment industry producers. Topics range from producing and directing to broadcast platforms and selling yourself and your intellectual property. ...
- PIPES Internship applications accepted through February 8th
- The Pacific Internship Programs for Exploring Science is accepting applications through February 8th. Internships are available on Hawaiʻi, Maui, Oʻahu Molokaʻi, Kauaʻi, and across the Pacific. ...
- Go Global: Aotearoa Summer 2019
- Kia Ora! Immerse yourself in Maori culture, practices and history while living and engaging with the local Maori community in North Island, New Zealand (Aotearoa). ...
- Go Global: India (भारत) Summer 2019
- Spend three weeks in India exploring and learning about the history and culture of the country with History Professor Michael Skinner while earning three upper division credits. ...
- Study Abroad Photo Contest
- Submit your fun, exciting, adventurous or studious photos from any of your trips. It could be from your vacation, study abroad, national exchange journey or a trip with your exchange/international friends. ...
- 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2018. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2019. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.