HELP Symposium - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Location: UH Hilo, Campus Center 307
The Spring HELP Symposium will be held on Friday, May 2 at Campus Center 301, UH Hilo.
The biannual HELP Symposium is designed to bring awareness to the needs of the Pacific Island communities and the efforts of Pacific Islander college students to engage in community-based projects that impact their education and help their community. The Highly Engaged Learning Placement (HELP) program is part of the high impact student employment initiative at the Pacific Islander Student Center (PISC) at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo.
PISC has invited undergraduate students from UH Mānoa’s Center for Pacific Islands Studies to present research on community-based projects that they have completed as part of the BA capstone project. These graduating students will discuss projects such as ways that voyaging has strengthened Pacific communities in Oʻahu, how teens contribute to family finances with after-school jobs, healthcare for migrants in Hawaiʻi, coupon-ing to save on household expenses, and several other projects on health, environment, and culture. The full program including times and a description of presentations is available at help.pacificstudents.org/symposium/.
The symposium also features a special lunchtime keynote presentation “Pacific Islander Students Navigating Success at UH Hilo” by Dr. Denise Uehara. Dr. Uehara, Assistant Professor in the College of Education at UH Mānoa, will highlight about the preliminary findings from research on Pacific Islander students at UH Hilo.
The Spring HELP Symposium is sponsored by UH Hilo’s Pacific Islander Student and Pacific Islands Studies Certificate, and UH Mānoa’s Center for Pacific Islands Studies, Office for Student Equity, Excellence and Diversity (SEED), and Friends of Operation Manong.
The public can register for free at help.pacificstudents.org/registration/. Please register early to receive a complimentary parking pass.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 8084304837
What's also happening?
Week of April 27, 2014Next →
- International Nights Tickets on Sale Now!
- Celebrate the cultural diversity at UH Hilo at the 45th annual International Nights! The shows will be on Friday, February 21 and Saturday, February 22 at 7:30 pm at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center. ...
- Apply for the 2020-2021 UHHSA Student Election
- Interested in becoming a student leader? Apply for the 2020-2021 University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) student election! The UHHSA senate seeks to accurately represent the views of the entire student body. ...
- Summer Study Abroad Programs
- Why not spend your summer abroad in Europe, Asia or South America? UH Hilo has opportunities available with Univesities in Brazil, China, France, Hungary, Japan, Scotland, and South Korea. ...
- Study Abroad Application Deadline: March 1
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for Spring 2021, please submit your application by March 1, 2020. Applications are available at: ...
- 2020-21 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2020-21 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2019. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2020! Deadline for ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2020 Relay for Life event as well as multiple awareness events over this school year. ...
- Mandatory Advising (Freshmen 'Eleu)
- Freshmen, mandatory advising is starting soon. You are required to meet with your advisor. Please check your UH email to set up an appointment today. ...
- 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition Submissions Now Open
- The Student Arts Association is now accepting Spring Submissions for the 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition. Spring Submissions are open now till March 27th. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: ...
- HAPA (Hawaii Association of Public Accountants) Scholarships
- HAPA’s Big Island Chapter provides up to $3,500 in awards to accounting scholars and future accountants each year. ...
- 2020-21 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2019, students can complete their 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2020. ...
- Walk-in Wednesdays
- Counseling services will now be offering 30 minutes walk-in sessions, every Wednesday from 1-4 pm. We know things happen and you may need to talk with someone immediately. This service is open to all UH Hilo students. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.