Eia Hawaiʻi: Kapa Oliveira, Naming Practices - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi: Kapa Oliveira, Naming Practices
Location: Campus Center 301
Mai Kekahi Kapa a i Kekahi Kapa Aku:
Environmental Kinship and Kanaka Naming Practices
Katrina-Ann R. Kapā‘anaokalāokeola Nākoa Oliveira will explore Kanaka (Native Hawaiian) naming practices and environmental kinship that transform spaces into personalized places, revealing the level of thought and intention that is given, especially to the naming of place. She will show how traditional naming practices are an important aspect of the culture and how outside influence shave affected naming practices over time.
Oliveira is the director of Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language and an associate professor of Hawaiian at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. She holds a Ph.D. in geography with cultural geography as her area of specialization. She is a former fellow ofthe East-West Center, First Nations’ Futures Program, and Mellon-Hawaiʻi fellowship program. Her research includes Hawaiian geographies, epistemologies, and language acquisition methodologies.
For more information, contact: Mandaya@hawaii.edu 932-7418
What's also happening?
Week of February 16, 2014Next →
Holiday observed: Presidents’ Day
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.