Black History Month: The Drizzle, West African Storytelling - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Black History Month: The Drizzle, West African Storytelling
Location: UH Housing: Kehau Turnaround
The Residence Hall Association and Minority Access and Achievement Program proudly presents another cultural DRIZZLE event. This showcase is a modern interpretation of an age old indigenous tradition as it has manifested in parts of Africa. There will also be contemporary storytelling and traditional Hawaiian storytelling.
Come and enjoy, as the storytellers physically animate a parable, myth, or piece of history while accompanied by musicians to accentuate the pace and rhythms of the story. The content of the stories deal with cultural and socio-political concepts that would serve to awaken latent parallels between cultures, particularly the experiences of Africans and Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders. As the oral tradition in itself bridges gaps between many cultures, so do we hope the ideas and circumstances of the stories presented through this program will foster positive cultural exchange and help to benefit solidarity between people within our community.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 9327463
What's also happening?
Week of February 23, 2014Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.