free Screening of swing dance documentary Where We Danced - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
free Screening of swing dance documentary Where We Danced
Location: K 127
Please join us for a free screening of Where We Danced: The Story of American Social Dance, a film by Brian Lucky Skillen.
Time: 5:00pm October 11
Admission: Free to UH Hilo/HCC faculty, staff and students, and their guests
Where We Danced is the story of America's dance told through the lives of the dancers who shaped the art form as well as the places they danced. The story begins on the plantations where African and Western European culture collided to create America's first truly indigenous social dance, the cakewalk. It continues through to 1930’s Harlem showing how dance helped shape popular culture in America and around the world.
This documentary contains one of the last filmed interviews with Frankie Manning, taken just months before he passed in 2009. He was one of the most iconic and influential dancers of the 20th century.
This event is brought to you by the Swing Club RISO. Starting October 18, we will meet Friday evenings at 5:45 in the Old Gym. All levels of experience are welcome, no partner is required. If you would like to be added to the Swing Club mailing list, please contact Em de Pillis at firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Restrictions: Limited seating.
For more information, contact: email@example.com
What's also happening?
Week of October 6, 2013Next →
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.