Free Public Lecture: Discovering Galaxies - By: J.R.Roy - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Free Public Lecture: Discovering Galaxies - By: J.R.Roy
Location: UH Hilo Science & Technology Building - Room 108
If you are curious about the universe and galaxies, and always had to urge to learn about the discovery of galaxies, then you’re in luck!
The UH Hilo Department of Physics & Astronomy is hosting a free astronomy public lecture by Prof. Jean-René Roy. A former director at the Gemini Observatory and current faculty member in the Department of physics, engineering physics and optics at Laval University in Québec, Canada, Dr. Roy’s presentation titled, "Discovering Galaxies" is set for Tuesday, October 8, 7:00 pm at the Science and Technology Building (room 108). The public is welcome to attend.
About one hundred years ago, galaxies were discovered. Some say that we then found the universe! This talk is about the discovery of galaxies. The realization that galaxies were other “island universes”, like our own Milky Way, at huge distances was a crowning point that ended centuries of speculation. The discovery of galaxies is a fascinating example of the scientific process and of the history of ideas.
Dr. Roy will describe the sequence of works and events that resulted in bursting the size of the observable universe by a factor of one million billions times about a century ago.
Jean-René Roy received his Ph. D. in astronomy from the University of Western Ontario. Following work at several research institutes and observatories, he held a staff position at the Department of Physics of Laval University in Quebec City and has worked with the Large Facilities Office of the National Science Foundation in Arlington, VA. Recently he worked at the Science Mission Office with the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore, MD.
His research areas include the role of bars in the evolution of spiral galaxies, the formation of massive stars and the dispersal of elements in the interstellar medium. More recently, he has explored the issues and challenges of governance and management of large research infrastructures and facilities. He writes about science issues and the history of ideas and instruments in astronomy.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 808-933-3210
What's also happening?
- Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Award Nominations Now Open
- The 2021 Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Award nominations are now open. Please submit your nominations no later than March 9, 2021, at 11:59 pm (This is a hard deadline, there will be no exceptions). ...
- Now Accepting UHHSA Hilo Ambassador Applications
- Calling all UH Hilo students! Your UH Hilo Student Association's (UHHSA) Hilo Ambassador program is now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. ...
- Freshman ʻEleu (Spring 2021)
- Attention freshmen, if you began at UH Hilo in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021, it's time to meet with your advisor for your mandatory Freshman ʻEleu appointment. ...
- RISO Registration for 2020-2021 is now open
- The 2020-2021 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register is March 26, 2021 at 4:30pm. ...
- BOSP Secretary Open Position
- Open Position with the Board of Student Publications! Secretary Applicant Must be a - UH Hilo student in good academic standing, - Have a minimum GPA of 2.0, - And must be enrolled in at least six credits. ...
- Student Activities Council (SAC) Open Positions - Apply Now!
- SAC Applications are open. The Student Activities Council (SAC) provides programs, activities and services which serve the co-curricular cultural, social, recreational and educational interests of students of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2021 Relay for Life. ...
- 2021-22 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2020, students can complete their 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2021. ...
- UHHSA Care Packages
- Aloha students! We at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) know how difficult this academic year has been! For students who have had a tough time getting to campus, and for students who have had a tough time having ...
- UHHSA Applications Open! Apply Now!
- UHHSA Applications are open. The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is responsible for representing the entire student body and improving the lives of UH Hilo students via methods including, but not limited to, advocacy and ...
- Student Arts Association Zoom Meetings (updated info)
- Inviting all interested students to join our weekly Zoom call. This is a chance to meet your fellow creative students, find out about UH Hilo's Spring Student Art Show, and more. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.