Eia Hawaiʻi - Kuaihelani - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi - Kuaihelani
Location: Campus Center 301
"Kuaihelani: Cultural Reclamation of Midway Atoll" is third in the 2012-2013 Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series and features Aulani Wilhelm (NOAA), Dr. Kalani Makekau-Whittaker (UH Mānoa), and Hawane Rios.
Although a part of the Hawaiian Archipelago, Midway Atoll has long been disconnected from Hawaiʻi in the psyche of most people. Its Hawaiian cultural history and significance has been forgotten along with its traditional name.
In 2011, a group of Hawaiian language scholars embarked on a journey to recover some of the cultural history of Midway, beginning with its name. A critical part of this process was a trip to Midway to connect the archival research to observations and experiences on the atoll and to re-connect that ʻāina to our culture through language and ceremony.
This presentation will share the process and outcomes of this unique project developed through a partnership between Kīpuka Native Hawaiian Student Center (UH Hilo), Ka Haka ʻUla o Keʻelikōlani (UH Hilo) and National Oceanic Atmospheric Association (NOAA).
For more information, contact: email@example.com x30897
What's also happening?
Week of November 11, 2012Next →
Holiday observed: Veterans’ Day
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.