Ecology of Kukui, TCBES Research Seminar Series - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event is being held online. Passcode: kukui
Ecology of Kukui, TCBES Research Seminar Series
Title: Historical and Modern Ecology of Kukui (Aleurites moluccanus)
Speaker: Noa Kekuewa Lincoln, Professor, Department of Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Hawai’i at Mānoa
Abstract: We examine the historical ecology and trends of kukui in two projects as an exploration of its potential of a proxy for ancient Hawaiian forest alteration. A review of the the ethnobotany was conducted to inform the context of kukui’s introduction and cultivation by our ancestors. We use current and historical remote imagery to map kukui canopy on the five largest Hawaiian Islands. Kukui is still widespread through the state, being a significant component in many novel low-land forests. However, kukui is declining, having lost an average of ~58% of total canopy cover over the last 70 years. Spatial trends suggest that kukui likely did not spread much following the largescale shifts in Hawaiian socio-ecosystems that accompanied the arrival of colonial powers. A more detailed analysis of the northeastern slopes of Mauna Kea (the “Hāmākua coast”), demonstrates the effectiveness of using remnant tree distributions in indicating ancient land use. We suggest that the footprint of kukui in Hawai’i closely approximates the extent of indigenous agroforestry and forest alteration.
Please invite your friends, family, and colleagues!
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7573
What's also happening?
- General Education redesign team wanted!
- Aloha Vulcans! The Summer 2021 General Education Institute is looking for applicants! Now is the time to speak your mind on general education classes! Currently, the University of Hawai’i has formed a UH General Education Curriculum Design ...
- University Radio Hilo (KUHH 101.1fm) - Apply Now!
- As a communications base of University of Hawaii at Hilo (UH Hilo), University Radio Hilo (URH) provides the opportunity for UH Hilo students to gain experience, education and training in radio broadcasting. ...
- Student Arts Association Zoom Meetings (updated info)
- Inviting all interested students to join our weekly Zoom call. This is a chance to meet your fellow creative students, find out about UH Hilo's Spring Student Art Show, and more. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.